Riser Freeze Protection

Users who are viewing this thread

kenbect

Reaction score
I have freeze proof yard hydrants in an RV Park application. Of course they are only freeze proof when they are turned off and the water drains out of the riser. During freezing weather I can keep the above-ground portion from freezing when an RV is hooked up to it by using heat tape and insulation. All heat tape I have seen is not for use under ground. How can I protect the portion of the riser that is below ground from freezing when there is frost in the ground and I have long term guests that need to stay hooked up to the water? They also use heat tape and insulation on their hoses so the only vulnerable spot is the underground portion of the riser. I am getting ready to add a new section of sites. Is there anything I can do to insulate the new hydrants when I install them?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm sitting down south so I'm not familiar with having to worry about freezing for long periods of time. However, one thing I do "because it's kewl" is to put faucets in a bucket in the ground then use a stepping stone for a cover. Of course, in a nice upscale area you might want to use something with a bit more "designer" appearance that provides the same function of being out of the way as well as being protected from freezing. Underground in a hole you can use the heat tape if there is no concern with flooding and you have it on a gfi circuit....merely my suggestion.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the supply line is below frost level, you can put a stop n waste valve at the end of the supply line then a street el to the riser. Turn the stop m waste off to drain to the supply line. If the supply line is not below frost level, as far as I know, you're screwed.

HarleySilo

Reaction score
The idea to make the hydrant in an enclosed area seems logical. If you didn't like the bucket idea, using that pricipal you could use the round cardboard tubes used to pour concrete footings. You could dig an hole a few inches larger than the tube you use around the hydrant, pour a "floor" first, then come back insert tube and pour around it instead of in it. If it's below flood line so to speak there is an additive you can buy to mix with the concret to make it waterproof, i used it for an above ground fish pond, it works. And then you could do whatever you need to do to make a lid for it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have installed automatic horse watering systems from Nelson. They use a combination of 6" SDR pipe with insulation 4.5' deep and the benifit of trapped ground heat to prevent the piping from freezing. Then above the pipe is a small heater in the water the horse drinks from. I would bet you could use the insulation and 6" SDR and figure out the rest. Do a word search for Nelson Horse waterers and you should be able to get the info direct from them.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Cass said:
I have installed automatic horse watering systems from Nelson. They use a combination of 6" SDR pipe with insulation 4.5' deep and the benifit of trapped ground heat to prevent the piping from freezing ...

I had been wondering whether something like that might work, but my thought of possibly using small rocks for insulation inside a large pipe did not sound sufficient.

Since the center of the earth is quite hot, the deeper the better, eh?! I have heard caves are consistently around 52 degrees f.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks