Rheem Tankless Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Schwarz633

Reaction score
DYI'er here, considering installation of a Rheem Ikonic RTGH-SR11i. This is the one with the built in recirculation pump. This installation would place the water heater in the basement and the crossover valve on the second floor. In reviewing the spec. sheet and installation documents I haven't been able to find any specifications on the recirculation pump, or mention of any limitations on head. Seems like there should be a head/flow chart available. I just want to make sure that it will be able to recirculate at a flow rate that is greater than the minimum for unit (.4 GPM). Talking to Rheem tech. support was a waste of time. They indicated that they only fix problems and don't have any access to engineering support, that's not confidence inspiring.

Does anyone have experience with this unit installed in a similar application?

Fitter30

Reaction score

Schwarz633

Reaction score
I think my initial concern was unfounded, as I've determined that the height really doesn't matter in a closed loop recirculation application.

The head in a closed loop is entirely "dynamic head" - that is, the friction from moving the water through the pipe. There is no static head, so the elevation does not matter, just the effective length (actual length plus extra length for elbows and tees.) A long single level house and a tall multi-story house work the same for that.

My new concern is in regard to the Rheem EcoNet recirculation schedule. I'd like to be able to only run the pump at certain times of the day, but it looks like you can only schedule when it turns on, not when it turns off. Reading between the lines, it looks like it may turn off after 5 minutes or when the inlet temperature rises to SP-15°F. In order to minimize the amount of hot water pumped into the cold water line I'd prefer to have the pump run for less than 5 minutes. In my application I suspect the pump will be deadheaded against the crossover valve long before 5 minutes. And if the crossover valve closes, the inlet temperature may never reach SP-15°F.

Can anyone confirm how this EcoNet scheduling actually works? I downloaded the app, but without a heater to connect to, you can't get very far into it.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Look at page 28 looks like a wifi timer

Schwarz633

Reaction score
Yes, that looks like where you select schedule mode. I'm asking how schedule mode operates, which is on the EcoNet app.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks