Rheem Home Depot quality same as plumbing supply house?

Users who are viewing this thread

ruthrj18

Reaction score
What a bummer! There's no reason for Rheem to be selling these consumer branded water heaters at Home Depot with no support/part availability when somethin goes wrong.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Just had another home depot person call me today needing help with the honeywell control on his unit..
it was less than 16 months old... Told him that no one in town can get the parts for them so he would have
to raise hell with HD and they might get something to him in a week or two...

Do you repair the controller at component level ?

Seems the controllers could be repaired instead of replaced.

ruthrj18

Reaction score
All done! TPR and condensate lines run to the outside. Got the ok for no drain pan from the inspector since the TPR is plumbed to the outdoors and won't drain to the floor. Any leaks would run out of the garage. Very happy camper!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,497

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
All done! TPR and condensate lines run to the outside. Got the ok for no drain pan from the inspector since the TPR is plumbed to the outdoors and won't drain to the floor. Any leaks would run out of the garage. Very happy camper!

What in the hell is that anyway???? Some sort of hybred electric unit from rheem???
What does it matter if the t+p drains onto the garage floor anyway??

its fair to ok looking but I thought you had to raise everything in the garage up on bricks.

Is that a vaccuum breaker valve on the top of that standpipe by the water heater?????.....:)

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What in the hell is that anyway???? Some sort of hybred electric unit from rheem???
What does it matter if the t+p drains onto the garage floor anyway??

its fair to ok looking but I thought you had to raise everything in the garage up on bricks.

That is one of the new ones that may require a lot of maintenance. :eek:

The new ones can set directly on the floor.

Last edited:

ruthrj18

Reaction score
Time will tell! Figured they've had long enough to work the kinks out since they were first introduced. I didn't find many reports online on the Rheem hybrids crapping out like the competitors. All I can do is clean the filter and flush the tank regularly, and enjoy the energy savings.

You can see why I was so happy to stumble upon this thread. I never would have even thought to shop at a local plumbing supply warehouse. I was litterally *this close* to special ordering the Home Depot one. If I'm going to drop over 1k on a sophisticated water heater, I'm not going with the Home Depot version!

Last edited:

ruthrj18

Reaction score
I was wrong about this heater, had to follow up on it. Compressor failed, blew up electrically and set some leaking oil on fire. Was an awesome experience to handle. See thread on heat pump reliability so I'm not double posting:

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-hpwh-reliability-still-an-issue.67171/

Returning it to the supply house today for a standard electric model (Professional Classic 50 gallon).

Time will tell! Figured they've had long enough to work the kinks out since they were first introduced. I didn't find many reports online on the Rheem hybrids crapping out like the competitors. All I can do is clean the filter and flush the tank regularly, and enjoy the energy savings.

You can see why I was so happy to stumble upon this thread. I never would have even thought to shop at a local plumbing supply warehouse. I was litterally *this close* to special ordering the Home Depot one. If I'm going to drop over 1k on a sophisticated water heater, I'm not going with the Home Depot version!

CleanSC

Reaction score
Hey ruthjr18, any updates to this since, and what you recommend to someone else looking to do about the same you did? Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks