Replaced an existing AC unit and air handler(help)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon Howard

Reaction score
New to forum. I replaced my 30 yr.old AC unit/air handler. Old one worked, just looking for electric heat and efficiency. I live in south In. 2200 sg ft. vaulted ceiling with balcony in main living area. Old unit was 3.5 ton. Should i have gone to 4ton? I see where 2200 is at max range for 3.5 ton. They replaced with same size without measuring anything. The air handler is smaller overall than the old one and loud. They had to make more room for the new air handler hgt wise....which looks like it took away some of the opening for the return air. Not all my return vents are pulling real good. 20 ft. away I used to be able to hold a pc of paper up to vent and it would hold it, now I can't even get a kleenex to hold on the vent. A couple of the other vents will hold the kleenex closer to the unit. Now to my problem...lol, When it's 85 outside, the unit runs non-stop from 9am-9pm and doesn't catch up to 73 on the thermostat. The old unit would run more, but would at least catch up for 15 - 20 min before turning on again. I'm $125 more per month than previous year, same avg temp. I don't feel like the system is balanced right and/or it needs to be bigger. Company is willing to look into it and replace if needed.. I haven't paid them yet. It's not about the money...I just want it to work correctly. Any ideas or thoughts.

Reach4

Reaction score
They could measure the pressure drop through the returns. I think an electronic manometer is the right tool for that. That indeed could be the problem. Your Kleenex test is good. If they run flex ducts, those should not be slack, from what I have seen posted.

If the drop is not so bad (and I don't know enough to define bad) maybe they can turn the blower speed up for summer.

Jon Howard

Reaction score
Thanks reach4... I do think they have adjusted on the blower speed already.Ducts shouldn't be an issue as they were not replaced or messed with. They just replaced the compressor and handler. Do you think the system needs to be bigger? 4 ton. I don't want to go overboard, but 2200sq. ft. is at the top of 3.5 ton. I would think 4 ton would be perfect without going crazy big. Should I ask them to do a J calculation, or ask the rural electric company to do? I will talk to them about checking the pressure. I'm no expert by any means...but my gut from reading this sight and other areas is both the pressure and the sizing are off.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Take a pic of both air handler and condensing unit name tags. Is the larger refrigerant line at the condenser cold and sweating?

Jon Howard

Reaction score
fitter30, I will get pics when I get home. Now that you mention it.... I do notice alot of moisture (water) coming from the condenser outside on the slab. I never remember that with the old unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks