Rental House Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

John Barnhill

Reaction score
Thanks for this Forum! I've learned a ton this weekend reading posts.

I own a number of rental houses. All 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1100-1200 SF.

I need to replace 2 builder-grade toilets (Home Depot house brand) in a house built in 1998.

I went to Home Depot and decided on Delta Foundations C43913 which have a MaP score above 1000. However, I continued to search online because I was disappointed in the fact the toilet had a 2" trapway.

Coming here, it seems the Toto Entrada is a much better option from a quality perpective.

I have Toto's in my personal house and have always preferred them.

The economics are as follows.

Deltas are $120 each and Entrada's are $220 with seat and seal.

Either the Estradas need to last 60% longer to justify the higher price, or avoid a single plumber's service call in the life of the toilet.

For my application, are the Toto's worth the additional investment?

Thanks all.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They both have trapways that are 2" which for most people is just fine. They both have 3" flush valves from the tank to bowl. I do like the trapway design of the Entrada a bit better with the long sweep it provides. For most people either should work with the slight edge to the Entrada for the trapway.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just thinking... If I were shopping as a landlord, I think I would like to see the hole from the bowl to the trapway to be smaller. If something is going to clog, stop it where it is visible. I don't know what toilets would be best in that regard.

John Barnhill

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I was sure you would say the Delta is junk and has a lousy track record.

On a non-related topic, we are designing a new home and my wife wants wall-mounted toilets. Is the Toto decent or would we be better off with a tankless design?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On a non-related topic, we are designing a new home and my wife wants wall-mounted toilets. Is the Toto decent or would we be better off with a tankless design?

The wall mount TOTO are in-wall tanks with a carrier that fits between studs. These use a standard 1/2" water feed. They work fine.

You're not thinking commerical bowls that use a flushometer are you? Those take a 1" supply line.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Toto wall-mounts are great. We have both Toto and Duravit in a beach house and I like the Totos much better, both for appearance and performance. They work on both Geberit and Toto in-wall tanks, and I at least am indifferent between the two.

If by "tankless" you mean the flushometer toilets that Terry is mentioning, I don't think they provide any benefit in a private home.

I would be unlikely to call anything made by Delta "junk". I do think the Entrada is better-looking. Some of the Delta toilets used to have (maybe still do have) non-standard parts. But it looks like what is in the one you mention is standard stuff. I know that when selling houses, the bathroom and kitchen strongly influence buyer decisionmaking; I assume the same goes for rentals, so maybe a little nicer bathroom, hence a little nicer toilet, gets you a little better tenant. One of those intangibles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks