rent vs. purchase water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
I have the money saved up to buy a new water softener, but I'm curious if there are benefits to renting. Are there some benefits other than not having to spend a large chunk of money all at once?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rental

If the rental is one that is exchanged monthly, then the benefit is that it can be installed at any convenient place without needing a drain or an electrical outlet. Otherwise no, at least not until it reaches the age where it needs servicing, and by that time you will have paid for the unit several times over, and it should be replaced anyway.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll rent something if I am going to use it only once. If I'll use something quite a bit, then it does not make economic sense to me to rent.

Another way I look at things is "monthly payments for this and that". If I can reduce the amount I am required to pay on monthly payments, then I have more money left over each month for "fun stuff"!

So I would rather pay $600.00 now for something and then have an extra $20.00 each month. That is $240.00 a year or $2,400.00 for 10 years.

So reducing or eliminating a small monthly payment can add up to big bucks in the long run...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I have the money saved up to buy a new water softener, but I'm curious if there are benefits to renting. Are there some benefits other than not having to spend a large chunk of money all at once?
I can't think of any but there are other downsides to renting a softener, like poor service, old used equipment and in some cases poor salt and water inefficiency.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
how long are you going to live??

most places around here rent you a metered water conditioner for about 20 bucks a month....
that works out to 240 per year....x 4 years ==$960.00

I put them in for under $1000.

If you are only staying in your home for less than
4 years, I suggest you rent....

If you think you are going to kick the bucket in two years,
its better for you to rent.

If you are going to stay in your home till they carry you
out on a gurney in 25 years you can see it is better to buy one.

the only good thing about renting is
If have extremely nasty water well water
it is sometimes better to rent
because they have to service and repair the unit when
the water finally ruins it..

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Did you know that there are still people paying Ma Bell to rent a rotary dial phone... I know back when I got rid of mine back in the 70's it was $0.25 a month... All the smart people at least have a 900 MHZ cordless they bought for $9.99 at WallyMart. If they had been renting since then and the rental rate hasn't gone up figure they paid for that cordless 10X over and they still have a cord!:mad:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks