Remove Roman Tub Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

yellbird

Reaction score
I was hoping some would read these pdf files and let me know if I could just unscrew this spout and install new one, if not I would have to cut hole in wall to get underneath tub.

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• Spout.pdf
    186.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Tub Spout.pdf
    32.7 KB · Views: 233

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on how it was put together underneath. Normally with those instructions, any plumber would be leary of starting that job, unless there was the option to open things up.
That is a thread on spout, and maybe you can, and maybe you can't. If it unthreads fairly easily, then maybe yes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you are lucky, it will unscrew from the pipe and NOT drop into the space under the tile. IF not, and uscrews from the tee underneath, then you will have to make a hole to put it back together. Do you "feel lucky"?

yellbird

Reaction score
Thanks for your fast reply, I figured that would be about the best I could ask for, looks like I will purchase of of those hole covers before I start messing with it. The spout has a half dollar sized polished brass chip messing from the top but it works fine other than that.

Thanks very much

yellbird

Reaction score
About the same as my first reply, looks like I will go buy lotto ticket to see if I am lucky Ha.
Thank you very much for replying.

Reach4

Reaction score
From the drawing, the "spout shank" looks like a nipple of sorts that is at right angles to the surface. I would picture that angle when attempting to unscrew the spout.

Because I don't have the experience, I don't think things will go wrong. I figure that nipple will either stay with the spout, or it won't. To remove that nipple from wherever it stays, if you want to, I would look to use an internal pipe wrench.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
From the drawing, the "spout shank" looks like a nipple of sorts that is at right angles to the surface. I would picture that angle when attempting to unscrew the spout.

Because I don't have the experience, I don't think things will go wrong. I figure that nipple will either stay with the spout, or it won't. To remove that nipple from wherever it stays, if you want to, I would look to use an internal pipe wrench.

The drawing shows solid piping to connect the spout to the valve handles. Nobody knows if this was done.
It could have been tied together with soft copper, flex connectors, or copper pipes.
If it was done with flex connectors, then spinning the spout may turn all of the piping below.
When hj and I say that it scares us, it's because we have seen those done so many ways. It's typical with a spin on fitting, that you need to back it. Holding pliers or a wrench on the back side.

yellbird

Reaction score
Just wanted to Thank everyone for replying. Was able to turn spout and release it from water pipe but nut kept spinning with it so couldn't
pull spout out. Ended up cutting small hole in wall removed and replaced spout. Thanks again for all the advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the update.
So many deck tubs out there, and sometimes we get calls to repair them or to change out the trim as styles change.
Sometimes, parts have changed, and it can get a little sketchy doing them if you don't have access below the deck.

This tub had a crawl in access. I had half my body in there.

chew_2168.jpg

chew_2164.jpg

This is the old spout. It was kind of short.

chew_2172.jpg

We replaced with a longer one.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
You look bigger in your picture. Must be the coat. Got lucky today putting in my first Hansgrohe kitchen faucet. I managed to squeeze into the cabinet but I could barely breathe. Once inside I almost couldn't function. The brace between the cabinet doors was tight at my waist and I had to plan every move to keep from getting jammed up. The sink cabinet was a corner job and the space got bigger toward the back. I noticed that the center piece on the face frame was installed with screws installed in predrilled Kreg-type slots. That was good news for me since I was able to get a square-drive bit and remove it temporarily while I was in the cabinet and reinstall it afterwards.
The faucet was a fine piece of machinery. Everything worked smoothly, the built-in supply tubes went all the way down to the cabinet floor, and the instructions included real words, some in English.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks