Remodeling around unlevel toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Matthias Ziegler

Reaction score
2 questions:

Question 1:
I am remodeling a bathroom and took out the prior tile/subfloor which was 1" tiles on 3/4 concrete. When I got it removed I found the toilet flange is unlevel, the front of the flange is about 1" above the plywood subfloor and the back is 1-1/4" above the floor.

I would prefer to not have to replace the flange if i dont have to, there is a little bit of give, but not enough that I could get it level. I was planning on replacing the subfloor and tiles to the flange sits directly on the new tile, however if I now if i do that there will be a 1/4" gap on the back.

First is there a problem with the flange height, top of flange would be ~1/2" tall in the front and ~3/4" in the back?

Is there something I can use to fill the gap so that it is all on a hard surface?

Question 2 (easier question):
When resting the flange on the new floor, which of the following is acceptable and usually done A) cut the tile in a way that there is a gap where the flange screws go. B) drill holes in the tile for the screw holes. C) use a spacer under the flange instead of tile?

Attachments

• IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would install a spacer under the flange and make sure the screws can go into wood.
The tile can be cut around the flange. The part that seals to wax is inside the ring that holds the flange down. The part with screw holes and closet bolt slots has never been the part that seals.
Wax easily takes care of a 1/4" out of level. However, you can't have the flange sticking up too high over the finished floor. Maybe 1/4", but not more. If you have more that that, now is the time to do whatever it takes to lower it. Even if that means removing plywood.

Matthias Ziegler

Reaction score
Thanks. It shouldnt be more than 1/4 inch. right now without it screwed in it is a 1/4 inch difference and it has slight movement that should decrease that when i screw it in.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If I had my way, I would get rid of that all plastic flange. I have seen very few that did not develop problems, especially if they have to "forced" down to level them.

Matthias Ziegler

Reaction score
Yeah, I could probably force it down to level it if I really tired, but because I really dont want to screw it down more than it would easily go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks