Question about the type of well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jrland

Reaction score
Hello,

I took the cap off of my well casing intending to chlorinate my well. I totally didn't expect to see the entrance of my well as shown in the pictures. Wondering if anyone has any idea on what type of well pump might be set up like this? I've tried to research old well pumps but nothing comes up. I tried to remove most of the spray paint on the underside of the cap for some clues, but it didn't show much. Really not sure how to proceed with chlorination and thinking I should just call a well guy but I thought I would ask here too. Thanks!

Attachments

• Well cap.jpg
    Well cap.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Well cap 2.jpg
    Well cap 2.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 254
  • Well cap 3.jpg
    Well cap 3.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 247
  • Well cap 7.jpg
    Well cap 7.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 266

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like you have an older version of a Merrill Manufacturing pitless unit. Go to their website and look at the SPP pitless unit and the WC well cap. Instructions are there

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’m guessing that you will want to run some small diameter tubing thru one of those two small vent holes. 5 feet long or so, to get your chlorine solution past the pitless unit.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would start with a vacuum cleaner with a crevice tool, if you have such an attachment.

Regarding the sanitizing, I think you could adapt to a suitably sized copper tube. When I was thinking of trying to sanitize through a hole, I was thinking about blocking the end of a tube, and drilling a small diameter hole to serve as an upward-facing sprayer to wash down the upper casing and underside of the pitless.

For the recirculation, you would want a higher flow path. Maybe wye to two tubes that could feed through two holes simultainously.

I had also attached a tube to what served as a big funnel to feed bleach and vinegar. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/

Jrland

Reaction score
Looks like you have an older version of a Merrill Manufacturing pitless unit. Go to their website and look at the SPP pitless unit and the WC well cap. Instructions are there
Wow! Thanks so much for this info! It's definitely put me a lot closer to what I need to know. I found the description and installation info for the SPP pitless unit. The installation details match what's printed under my cover. I've spent a few hours searching the Merrill site and watched a few good videos from Worst and Merrill on pitless units. I posted a discussion with them and I'll call them a little later too hoping for some clarification. Thanks again! I really appreciate your help.

Jrland

Reaction score
I would start with a vacuum cleaner with a crevice tool, if you have such an attachment.

Regarding the sanitizing, I think you could adapt to a suitably sized copper tube. When I was thinking of trying to sanitize through a hole, I was thinking about blocking the end of a tube, and drilling a small diameter hole to serve as an upward-facing sprayer to wash down the upper casing and underside of the pitless.

For the recirculation, you would want a higher flow path. Maybe wye to two tubes that could feed through two holes simultainously.

I had also attached a tube to what served as a big funnel to feed bleach and vinegar. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/
Thanks Reach, I gotta check this out some more.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Driller in Minnesota posted a picture this morning of a pitless like yours. Completely rusted up from pouring chlorine down the holes. It's coming apart with a backhoe and a cutting torch.

Jrland

Reaction score
Driller in Minnesota posted a picture this morning of a pitless like yours. Completely rusted up from pouring chlorine down the holes. It's coming apart with a backhoe and a cutting torch.
Wow! Is that on this forum? I would really like to see it so I'll search. The first well guy I spoke with said not to chlorinate because of the corrosion that can break loose and damage the pump. A second well guy said the same thing. He said with only a coliform present, just let the water run for a while and it should remove it, and there are many variables why a coliform test could be positive. I've learned that there is a difference between a well guy and a water filter system guy. So when it comes to the well, I am leaning toward info from the well guy, lol. Thanks so much for the info! Have a great day!

SteveInMich

BS Physics, BSEE, ...
Reaction score
Wow! Is that on this forum? I would really like to see it so I'll search. The first well guy I spoke with said not to chlorinate because of the corrosion that can break loose and damage the pump. A second well guy said the same thing. He said with only a coliform present, just let the water run for a while and it should remove it, and there are many variables why a coliform test could be positive. I've learned that there is a difference between a well guy and a water filter system guy. So when it comes to the well, I am leaning toward info from the well guy, lol. Thanks so much for the info! Have a great day!

I also have a Merrill Mfg. SPP pitless unit (4") at the top of my well, and also got a positive coliform bacteria test, which has been going around in my development (prob. because the septic systems, installed ca. 1978, are failing...:().

Some points:

1) bleach v. granular chlorine
According to guidance at the county website (https://www.washtenaw.org/2549/Well-Disinfection-Chlorination):

"Instructions
  1. Draw off about 4 gallons of water into a 5-gallon bucket. Mix 1 gallon of regular unscented liquid bleach with the 4 gallons of water. Note: Liquid bleach should not be used with a steel well casing; it can break loose accumulated corrosion and cause pump failure. Instead, use granular chlorine in a steel well casing."
I think the problem with bleach is that, as it is sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), it reacts with metalsto both oxidize them & produce salt, as well; frm the Wikipedia article on sodium hyochlorite:

NaOCl + Zn → ZnO + NaCl

2) Another caveat
The county info also has this note:

"Disclaimer
This procedure is intended to be used for chlorinating 5-inch PVC wells with submersible well pumps. If your well has a jet pump (either shallow or deep), or if your casing is 4-inch steel or smaller, we advise that you consult with a licensed well driller prior to chlorination."

So I will do this...

3) bromides?
A guy who inspected our spa before we bought our house said that bromides can be used to clean spas & pools, and are safer for people than chlorides...

Does anyone know about "brominating" one's well as an alternative to chlorinating?

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks