Question about tamper-resistant outlets

Users who are viewing this thread

Khayes

Reaction score
Hi - we have purchased a 2-year-old home which has all TR outlets. I assume this is code now. Inserting plugs is challenging but we've gotten the hang of it. Problem is several of the outlets won't keep the plug once it's inserted. The slightest pressure disconnects it, sometimes even the weight of the cord will disconnect it. Is this just a matter of cheap builder-grade receptacles? Would upgrading to a more expensive receptacle help? Or is this just the way it is with the new requirements?

Ken

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this just a matter of cheap builder-grade receptacles? Would upgrading to a more expensive receptacle help?
Yes. Yes.

Consider plugging and unplugging some plugs in different outlets at the store.

Last edited:

Chuck Shaughnessy

Reaction score
Eepla
Hi - we have purchased a 2-year-old home which has all TR outlets. I assume this is code now. Inserting plugs is challenging but we've gotten the hang of it. Problem is several of the outlets won't keep the plug once it's inserted. The slightest pressure disconnects it, sometimes even the weight of the cord will disconnect it. Is this just a matter of cheap builder-grade receptacles? Would upgrading to a more expensive receptacle help? Or is this just the way it is with the new requirements?

Ken[/QUOTE

Ken

Replace them. I have replaced nearly all of mine recently. Usually w heavy duty plugs. Good deals online and much better quality. And yes TR is now code.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's probably the builder-grade receptacles, but also keep in mind that repeated use of high-powered loads, especially if they are used for extended amount of time, can cause heat, and that can cause the spring temper on the socket to get weak, and the plug get loose. A loose plug itself just makes it worse, since it adds some resistance, and thus more heat.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There are a lot of junk receptacles and switches in the stores now. Buying the commercial grade products has given me better results, but you will pay for that quality.

Khayes

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. Yes, I know the prices vary greatly. I think I'll replace one outlet with a commercial grade one and see if it makes a difference before investing in many more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks