Question about recessed light

Users who are viewing this thread

inbetween

Reaction score
I have a lightbulb that looked too big for the housing it was in and went to replace it with a smaller bulb. I found it didn't unscrew and was just hanging by the wires. I can't figure out if the bulb is stuck in the socket that has somehow broken away, or if something else weird is going on here. Nothing about it looks right to me. Can anyone tell by looking at the shot I've attached what's going on here and how I can change out this bulb?
thanks in advance!

ATTACH=full]28408[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• CAM00137.jpg
    CAM00137.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
If I am right, the wires you show are maybe #20 or smaller wires rather than #14 or bigger. I am thinking that the bulb came apart and that the contact portion is still screwed into the socket.

Ideas: To fix, I would turn of the breaker. Then cut the wires to give better access to the socket, or pull moderately and see if the wires break loose. If there is enough space, smaller hands may be able to cut the wires with wire cutters.

Unscrew the remnants of the bulb from the socket as best you can. Your fingers may be sufficient. If not, can you cut a piece of wood with a taper that lets it go into the remnant partially? Then twist. If the wood just turns, glue the wood into the socket with fast epoxy. Wait for the amount of time that the epoxy takes to get full strength. Then unscrew.

Warranty? Tell them your story, and see if you can get a replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks