Pump runs continuously

Users who are viewing this thread

GaWebneck

Reaction score
A little background - I'm buying a foreclosure home with a well. The house was "winterized" to keep pipes from freezing. I'm assuming this just means that the pipes were drained and water was turned off. Yesterday I opened all the water valves, turned the power on, and turned the power to the well on. The well immediately started pumping water, faucets, toilets, everything running great. However, when I went under the crawlspace to check the hotwater heater I noticed that the pressure release valve was open and water was draining from the hotwater heater. I immediately looked at the pressure tank for the well and the PSI was around 120+.

Shouldn't the pressure switch have cut the pump off? By the way, the pressure switch is a square D 20/40. Should I just try adjusting the cut out pressure on the pressure switch? I can't imagine that the previous owner would have had it set that high.

GaWebneck

Reaction score
Fixed my own problem

Looks like no one had any suggestions on this one...thats OK though because at long last I figured it out.

I replaced the pressure switch to no avail - as as soon as I turned the pump back on the pressure would immediately climb nonstop over 100psi. I guessed correctly that the switch itself wasn't getting pressure from the nipple. When I removed the nipple it was almost completely sealed with mineral deposits. I replaced the nipple and everything works great.

Raucina

Reaction score
Good thing you had a water heater. You should add a relief valve at the switch area also. If you have a lot of junk in the water you might add a "Y" type screen valve at the pressure switch to reduce such issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks