Pump Running Not Building Pressure Above 20

Users who are viewing this thread

kbjr

Reaction score
I have a deep well pump with a 3/4 hp pump. The pump will continuously run but won't build pressure past 20. I can flip the breaker off and back on and then it will build pressure to the 40 and the pressure switch will then engage and turn the pump off like it is set to do. Scratching my head on this, please help.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Shut the valve off to the house and see if anything changes.

When you shut off the breaker how long are you waiting before flipping it back on?

When you say engage do you mean the switch has a low pressure cut out switch you have to manually reset?

Is there a check valve at the pressure tank? If you shut off the pump does the pressure gauge drop?

My first suspicion would be you have a leak somewhere in the system. Closing the valve to the house eliminates anything leaking beyond the pressure tank. If there is a check valve you can not pressure test from the pressure tank(unless you remove the check) so you'd pressure test at the well.

Take some photos.

kbjr

Reaction score
Shut the valve off to the house and see if anything changes.

When you shut off the breaker how long are you waiting before flipping it back on?

When you say engage do you mean the switch has a low pressure cut out switch you have to manually reset?

Is there a check valve at the pressure tank? If you shut off the pump does the pressure gauge drop?

My first suspicion would be you have a leak somewhere in the system. Closing the valve to the house eliminates anything leaking beyond the pressure tank. If there is a check valve you can not pressure test from the pressure tank(unless you remove the check) so you'd pressure test at the well.

Take some photos.

kbjr

Reaction score
I am only waiting a minute then flipping the breaker back on.

No I do not have to reset the pressure switch, I mean once the pressure reaches 40 it will stop pumping like it is supposed too.

There is not a check valve. The pressure on the gauge does not drop when I flip the breaker off. It holds at 20.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
How are you confirming it's running continuously? The switch being engaged does not necessarily mean the pump is running.

Do you have an amp probe? You'll need to know if it's drawing current. It's helpful to know how many amps it's drawing and how many amps it peaks to when the pump is turned on.
Your system is set 20/40? That's rather low. Is this for household pressure?

Confirm your gauge is working. Use a tire pressure gauge on the pressure tanks schrader valve. When the system is on both should read the same.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry it's late maybe I'm misunderstanding is this a submersible pump(pumps in the well) or a jetpump(pumps above ground)?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am guessing it is a deep well jet with two pipes going down hole. If that is the case then I would suspect you have a clogged nozzle in the jet assembly or a small leak in the suction pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks