pump for brewery & farm?

Users who are viewing this thread

hardrain

Reaction score
Hi there, here are the details:

350' well, water at 300'.
10-12 gpm (I was told 12, and then "10-12" later, not sure what to make of that)

requirements:
small brewery, would need ~500 gal over the course of 4-5 hours, 2-3 times a week
small dishwasher and two bathrooms at the brewery, likely only used 4 days a week
2 acres of drip irrigation, doesn't all have to run at once (in fact we'd likely do ~1/4 acre at once)...some extensions have said you use about 1000 gal per acre per day. Used ~6 months a year.
2 bedroom house, 2-3 people...this isn't up yet.

My question is both what kind of system you all think is best, and what kind/sized of pump you think would be best.

The complication is that due to some communication issues with the well driller, they've put in a 1hp pump that "can't do constant pressure". I know nothing else about the pump. My builder is suggesting a constant pressure system but I'm not sure of the pros/cons there, or what that means for the pump.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to get a water test to see if you need some treatment. This info should include tests for iron, manganese, softness, pH, arsenic, and more. For home use I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ For brewing, maybe a more extensive test is warranted.

Lets start with your existing 1 HP pump. With water at 300... 340 ft down, it would probably be a 1HP 5 GPM but it could be a 1 HP 7 GPM pump. The 5 gallon pump would probably deliver as much or more water than the 7 GPM pump. If you were purchasing a new pump, it would probably be something like a 2HP 10 GPM or a 1.5 HP 7 GPM pump.

It seems to me there should be a system to route water to irrigation only when the water pressure is somewhat above the cut-on pressure for the the pump. If that could be done, the house and brewery would get priority on the water. I don't know if such systems are common. I am not a pro.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
From 300' plus 50 PSI a 1HP, 7 GPM series pump will produce 7 GPM. That is only 420 gallon per hour. If you need 10-12 GPM from that depth you will need a 1.5HP in a 10 GPM series pump, and it will produce 600 gallons per hour. The 7 GPM pump would be enough to run the house and a drip system, but probably not both at the same time.

And any pump can be made to do "constant pressure" using a Cycle Stop Valve or CSV. The CSV will do a better job of delivering constant pressure than any of those variable speed type systems, which is what you need a "special" pump to work with.

The Pside-kick kit is all you need to make a constant pressure system out of either the 7 or 10 GPM pump. If you switch the pump to a 1.5HP it will give the installer a chance to install that "special" pump that can be used with a variable speed drive. You DO NOT want the special pump or the variable speed system that are also called a VFD. The CSV will do a better job and not need a special 3 phase motor, which locks you into the VFD type system.

hardrain

Reaction score
Thanks all, sending off for water testing today, actually.

So it sounds like ideally (with cost not as much of a factor), the recommendation might be a 2HP / 10 GPM, with a CSV if I want constant pressure?

Reach4

Reaction score
These tables are snipped from a Grundfos 4 inch pump pub. Other similarly rated pumps will have similar characteristics.
img_5.png
img_4.png

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The 10 GPM series would be fine in 1.5HP. But if you go with a 2HP I would use a 13 gpm in Goulds, a 15 gpm in a Sta-Rite, or a 16 gpm series in the Grundfos. My preference would be the Grundfos 16S20-18 as it will have a better amp drop at low flow rates when used with the CSV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks