PRV - Zurn Wilkins NR3XL Leaking from Adjustment Nut

Users who are viewing this thread

ProxyBox

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 1 1/4" Zurn Wilkins NR3XL PRV that's about 6 years old. I recently noticed my pressure rise on my bathroom faucet and after checking it was at 80psi. Previously it was set at 60 psi and held without issue. I removed the bell and noticed the diaphragm, spring and spring retainer were rusty and water leaking at the adjustment nut. I cleaned it up, added some silicone lubricant to the gaskets and reassembled. Everything seems to be holding now but I'm concerned it's going to fail soon. Should the void in the bell be bone dry if working properly? I'm assuming if there is moisture, which is causing the rusting, one of the gaskets is failing. I'm disappointed because I thought the PRV would last much longer. What are you experiences with Zurn PRV's?

I also have a 3/4" NR3XL serving my sprinkler system which was installed at the same time and it also is leaking the same way. When I removed the bell it was actually in worse condition so I went ahead and bought a new one and replaced the cartridge assembly.

Reach4

Reaction score

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive got the same 1 1/4 lasted about 3 years so i rebuilt it to save a few bucks my area the homes were built between mid 90s and around 2008 . if the regulators havent been changed then most of them are bad. no opinion as to whether zurn is worse or better than others.

ProxyBox

Reaction score

Thanks. I was aware of the repair kits but I found a complete unit for less money on Overstock. Pretty sweet. I think for the 1 1/4 I'll buy the repair kit since it's much less than a complete unit. Appreciate the response.

ProxyBox

Reaction score
Ive got the same 1 1/4 lasted about 3 years so i rebuilt it to save a few bucks my area the homes were built between mid 90s and around 2008 . if the regulators havent been changed then most of them are bad. no opinion as to whether zurn is worse or better than others.
3 years! That seems pretty low for a device that's passive. When I took mine apart the screen was clean so it's not a debris issue. Also my street pressure is about 100 psi so nothing insane and well within the 3:1 ratio they recommend. I can't imagine most homeowners noticing pressure changes and calling for help to get it fixed. Most probably don't even know what the device does. Ranting but I wish these were engineered better to last. The dial cap Brauckmann prv on my mothers house has been on there since 1992 and hasn't had an issue. Geez.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see PRV all the time 30 plus years old and almost none of them do a proper job. my home 22 years old 3rd prv and 3rd water heater. 120 tp 150 psi of cource if I wasent a plumber maybey id still be on the first one most people dont know what a prv is . Im ordering one today for another job 1 inch nr3xl 100 bucks on amazon my "wholesale cost" 165 i think around 140 or so at lowes LOL.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks