Proper DWV Connection of Shower and Wall-Hung Geberit

Users who are viewing this thread

HarleyDog

Reaction score
First of all, thank you to anyone who can help me with this! I've never installed a wall-mount toilet before and I want to make sure that it performs at its best. It is a tiny bathroom, so the wall mount gives a little more floor space. The linear shower drain and the toilet are in a direct straight line to the main soil stack. I'm unsure as to whether I can use a 3x3x2 sanitary tee to connect the shower drain to the vertical drop of the toilet, and then a 3x3x3 at the soil stack. I'm also unsure as to whether I need to provide any additional venting for the toilet and/or the shower because of the close proximity of the soil stack/vent. I've attached the New York State Residential Plumbing Code section on maximum wet vent distances as well as a diagram of my installation. Any advice, ideas, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Bath DWV.jpgMax_Distance.gif

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that with that the order of the fixtures, you must have the vent otherwise, the toilet flush could suck the shower trap dry. But, then I'm not a pro...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You must have the vent otherwise, the toilet flush could suck the shower trap dry.

That's how we look at it, and the inspector.

The 3" stack to the right is doing nothing for the shower on the left. The shower must be vented "before" it enters below the toilet.

HarleyDog

Reaction score
Thank you so much - to both of you!

What you're saying makes perfect sense, and when I do the install putting the vent in will be very simple. I guess I was thinking that the shower would be "wet vented" through the 3" headed towards the stack. I'm glad I asked you pros!

Neither of you mentioned there being anything wrong with the two sanitary tees or the lavatory connection (other than my drawing skills, perhaps). Does the rest of the layout look proper?

I consider myself to be a great mechanic but I lack the expertise of trying to understand some of the plumbing codes. Of course I want things to pass inspection, but I also want things installed according to best industry practices. I suppose I could ask one of the kids at the nearest big box store, but I've always told other people that they may as well ask their cat:)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Make sure you double up the wall studs on either side of the carrier. Are you using the 2"x4" or the 2"x6" carrier?

Also make sure you line up the water supply rough in exactly as shown in the diagram. A few degree's left or right is OK but if it goes in facing up, down or to the left you will not be able to hook up the water line.

We have installed dozens of these wall mount carriers and one come theme with every install is a lot of swearing. JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks