Products like Pro Rescare necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Asker123

Reaction score
Hi New softener installed a month ago, should I be using resin cleaner products on ongoing basis? Like Pro Rescare etc?
I have very low iron.
I buy salt from Costco it is called SIFTO Crystal Plus Salt which advertises that it has resin cleaner inbuilt.
Any advise? I have a 2.5 cubic feet tank which regenerates every 10 days roughly.

Reach4

Reaction score
"Very low iron"? Then no.

With very low iron, I would expect the inside of your toilet tanks are not rust-colored.

Asker123

Reaction score
Well I just said very low as it was not something that was taken into account for hardness calculation .
Test report says 0.12 mg/L
The toilet tanks are definitely rusty. perhaps because these toilets are decade old and one point of time the well used to have iron pipe. My old configuration has a Pot Perm based iron remover back washing filter which has been removed in my new configuration.

based on 0.12 mgl/L iron and the fact that I have 2 Big Blue 20 inch sediments filters ( one 10 microns and other 5 microns), is it still desirable that I use res care sort of products at least once a while.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Most iron within well water, will be dissolved in the water (aka: clear water iron, ferrous iron) which a sediment filter will not remove. Iron in a ferrous state may be removed by a softener by sticking to and collecting on the surface of the softener's plastic resin beads. Over time, the buildup will foul the resin and will impair the resin's ability to remove hardness ions, so resin cleaning is essential when there is iron present.

To remove iron using a sediment filter, requires converting the ferrous iron to a ferric state, which is commonly performed by oxidizing the ferrous iron using an oxidant such as oxygen from air, chlorine, ozone, hydrogen peroxide or Pot perm. Ferric iron will be visible in the water, and will commonly precipitate out from the water as rust sludge.

You didn't specify if your 'new' configuration includes any means seperate from a softener to remove iron. You didn't provide a lab report for the raw well water so as to know if the water contains other elements such as manganese that will also build-up on the resin.

Resin cleaners are acids which are utilized to dissolve iron and manganese from the resin surface, so it would be also desirable to know your water pH since a pH below 7.0 will be acidic which depending on the level, may reduce the frequency of resin cleaning required.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't have a schedule for you. The BB filters will not play a part in this decision IMO.

ResCare, Res-Up, Iron Out crystals... each can be useful to help a softener deal with iron. Your iron level is low, and if that is the number from the well, you don't need to treat continuously IMO.

Is 0.12 mg/L is from a lab test on your raw water from the well, or a test on your treated water?

Asker123

Reaction score
Thanks Bannerman and Reach4
Here are full numbers from the report of my Raw Well Water

Calcium (mg/L) 152.90

Phosphorus (mg/L) 0.10

Magnesium (mg/L) 147.00

Potassium (mg/L) 10.00

Sodium (mg/L) 111.10

Copper (mg/L) 0.01

Iron (mg/L) 0.12

Manganese (mg/L) 0.06

Zinc (mg/L) 0.00

Electrical Conductivity (μS/cm) 1,946

pH 7.20

Sulfate (mg/L) 740

Nitrates (Total NO3) (mg/L) < 0.37

Total Hardness (CaCo3) (mg/L) 987.14

Total Dissolved Solids (mg/L) 1,265

Chloride (mg/L) 59

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice pH, but high hardness. 58.3 after iron compensation, but before adding high hardness compensation. After adding high hardness compensation I would set the hardness to H=75.

Reach4

Reaction score
I first added iron compensation. After that, I added high-hardness compensation.

Are you thinking I should have done that in the other order? In this case, the difference would be very small. It was easier for me to calculate in the order that I did it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks