Pressure dropping and climbing on pump? small crack to blame?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nathan James

Reaction score
I am moving back and turning the water on my place after being gone for 2 years, we drained all the lines, hot water tank and the water in the lines when we left.

After diagnosing a few issues with my shallow well jet pump, I found this is the main issue. The water is not reaching the faucets or the tub or the toilet. I only have about oh..15-25 ft of pipe from the pump area (pressure tank, hot water heater, pump) to the areas of the house that need water, everything is on the first floor, there is no basement, so the pump, pressure tank and hot water heater are all in a closet sized area, anyways..
It seems there is no pressure or maybe there is a air bubble trapped in the lines. I checked the pump, yup its primed. The hot water tank is working, the lines have gotten hot. The pressure tank I have is Well X Trol, pre-charged at 38 psi. I checked the pressure, yup its at 38 and holding.

THEN the issue became clear, i think... I have found a small crack in a brass fitting. I tried to patch it with JB-Weld SteelStik but it didn't work, when i shut the pump off, water drips from that fitting. When the pump is on, the pressure goes up to about 40 psi and fluctuates from 40 down to 10 up to 20...etc. Water doesn't get to any of the sinks, or the toilet, but it gets to the bathtub, which is weird? All the shut off valves are wide open. I assume that that small crack MUST be the issue, water is not leaking from any fitting AFTER the pump. I mean this crack is almost hairline..plus I attempted to patch it with JB. Im no plumber but this is the issue correct? Somebody told the the foot valve could also be clogged with sediment but I think the first issue to fix is that fitting. The pipes that are holding that fitting are super old and I scared the brass fitting won't come off! What should I do? I will probably already have my answer but I like asking the know-how people to confirm what I already should be doing, replace that brass fitting and hope its the issue!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah it doesn't take a very large crack on the suction pipe to cause that problem. And it sounds like a suction leak from the bouncing pressure and only working with the tub at low pressure.

Nathan James

Reaction score
i will post an update after i fix this issue, if other issues arise or not!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks