Possible to replace pan drain pipe behind brick veneer?

Users who are viewing this thread

c17chief

Reaction score
Time for a water heater changeout. First one for my current house (1 story). The water heater is in the attic and the current pan is plumbed with 3/4 and appears that it runs down between the sheathing and brick veneer, exiting and turned down a course or 2 up from the slab. With the tank up there and no practical place to relocate, naturally I want every edge I can reasonably get given the potential damage. One of those is I’d like to change that out to 1 or even 1.5 if I can fit it. Especially with T&P tied in which is very common here. Can this be done without being Too intrusive?

My initial thought is glue on a 90, try feeding the length of pipe in at a really horizontal angle and swing /work it vertical into position then spinning the 90 in front of the hole in the brick then finish both ends from there. Removing a brick or few to get the bottom 90 in place wouldn’t be a big deal, but I don’t want to really tear stuff apart to get a new pipe in there. I also imagine brick ties might present a problem if not preclude that working at all. Would this work? dumb unworkable idea? Any other ideas? Short of tearing open an interior wall to run to a sink trap, Id guess my only other option is come down thru soffit along the exterior of the wall. Probably easiest as well, but I’d rather keep the cleaner aesthetics.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks