Plumbing venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevwar

Reaction score
I purchased an older home that only has one vent built into the plumbing. Where would you recommend installing a vent and clean out on this line? Thanks in advance!
IMG_1202.jpeg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
No opinion on adding cleanouts.

As for venting, GA uses the IPC. And if the bathroom sink has a vent through the roof, it can wet vent the toilet and the tub. [The tub trap arm, which is all the piping between the trap and the 3" PVC line, needs to fall at least 1/4" per foot and fall no more than 1 pipe diameter. I.e. it should meet the 3" PVC in a wye or combo that has all connections horizontal.]

Then if the kitchen sink has an AAV, and there are no other fixtures, the existing venting complies with the IPC. Are you have a performance problem that you suspect could be related to venting?

Cheers, Wayne

Kevwar

Reaction score
Hi Wayne!
Thank you for your quick response.
Yes, the bathtub drains slowly sometimes when you run water in the bathroom sink at the same time.
I have the walls open above the floor level, so i have a window of opportunity to add a vent.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the drawing isnt perfectly clear but based on what I see . I see no reason to add a vent generaly I wouldnt add a clean out you could add them both there though.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The cheater vent supposed to be accessible and easily removed so it can allow rodding if you need to snake the line.

sjones12121994

Plumbner
Reaction score
For optimal vent placement, consider adding vents near the highest points, end of long horizontal runs, and close to fixtures in your plumbing system. Install cleanouts at strategic locations such as near bends, junctions, or changes in direction to facilitate maintenance and clearing clogs. Check local plumbing codes for specific requirements on vent and cleanout placement to ensure compliance with safety standards. If uncertain about the best locations, consult with a licensed plumber who can provide personalized recommendations based on your plumbing system's layout. Additionally, take advantage of any future renovations to strategically add vents and cleanouts. You can also ask for professional advice like at Will plumbing to see what they can do in this situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks