Plastic Sleeve in Dielectric Union

Users who are viewing this thread

diyershaun

Reaction score
I just replaced the water heater in my house and I noticed the plastic sleeve in one of the dielectric unions is cracked, broken and essentially nonexistent. Is there any way to replace the plastic sleeve without replacing the whole dielectric union? Everything is in good condition except the sleeve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you could find a new one you could replace it, but they do NOT sell that piece individually. You would have to buy a new dielectric and use the piece from it, assuming you can get the old one off the pipe.

diyershaun

Reaction score
I was hoping to just replace the plastic piece without having to cut the pipe and solder in a new union.

diyershaun

Reaction score
I thought the plastic sleeve in the union was to keep the steel nut from touching the copper (or is it brass?) fitting. Is that incorrect?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Terry is referring to dielectric nipples NOT unions. The plastic piece IS essential to a union. You can cut one side of the plastic piece and "snap" it over the tubing, but you still have to find one to do it with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks