Pfister faucet, Finding right stem/cartridge for the original

Users who are viewing this thread

OklahomaDave

Reaction score
I have an original single-handle shower faucet that I believe is failing, allowing cold supply water to run across to the hot side and make the temperature almost impossible to control (hot water barely lukewarm).

The faucet is shown in the first pic. I believe it is a Pfister 971-250. But I don't know what cartridge goes behind it, and I can't yet tear it down because I have no separate hot water cutoff. Would the failure be in the mixer or balancer?

The possible replacement tandem I found is photographed below. Is this the right pair, or are other cartridges possible?

20190210_110453.jpg

20190210_110453.jpg
Thanks!
20190210_151207.jpg

Attachments

• 20190210_151207.jpg
    20190210_151207.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Call 800-PFAUCET and tell them you need a "pressure balance cartridge". It will have control and balancer as a single unit, even if you current one is two separate pieces.

OklahomaDave

Reaction score
Just to close up this thread - given this had a bathroom torn down, I took a flyer on that stem/cartridge combo and it was the perfect, spot-on replacement. I had some seepage trouble when I first installed it, but a second go with a bit better hold of the stem against the valve solved that problem.

Bottom line - almost certain that the pressure balancer had failed. New cart/stem has plenty of sustained hot water now!!

Thanks for the help, as always.

Shadyatbest

Reaction score
They will most likely send one for free. I have had 3 hoses pop on my pull out sink faucet. Pf has sent me 2 compete faucets and 2 hoses under warranty.

OklahomaDave

Reaction score
They will most likely send one for free. I have had 3 hoses pop on my pull out sink faucet. Pf has sent me 2 compete faucets and 2 hoses under warranty.

Yeah, I suspect they would have. However, I had a torn-up shower used by half the family and didn't really have the luxury of waiting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks