1. sjh

sjh New Member

Second pin hole leak in galvanized water pipe in (4) months. House is (64) years old with (1) bathroom. When re-piping with PEX should it be main line and branch like the existing galvanized or should it be installed with a manifold and "home runs" to each fixture?

2. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin Active Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    You can do it whichever way is easiest in your situation.

5. brb

brb New Member

I am remodeling a second floor bathroom and did sub manifolds for that bath only. It has worked out really well for me. Like everyone else recommended, whatever works best for you is the answer!

6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Just keep in mind that the ID of pex is smaller than the similarly sized copper (or galvanized, at least when it was new!). Because it can be installed with fewer fittings, those don't restrict flow as lots of them in rigid pipe unless you insist on making it look really neat with square corners and lots of fittings!

7. sjh

sjh New Member

Got estimates and I think I am going to go with type L copper for the job. More $, but I am more comfortable going with the tried and true standard. Aluminum house wiring also sounded like a good idea at one time.

8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    FWIW, pex is not a new item...been around for decades, but was first used more extensively in Europe. It has its advantages and disadvantages, just like many things. Like anything, though, it requires proper installation and design to work well.