PEX to Poly

Users who are viewing this thread

Its Me

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Last summer I converted my house from copper to PEX. I love it - tons of pressure (70psi) 12 gpm flow and a shorter pipe run design from my water heater means hot water faster. (Yay!)

The reason I did this? I wanted to install a sprinkler but didn't have enough flow. Well.. now I do

I am going to be using the black polyethylene line that I bought from home depot (1 inch). I currently have a 1 inch PEX lateral line dedicated for the sprinkler but my question is how do I connect PEX to Poly?

I had a few ideas but don't know if it will hold so figured I'd see if any of you have experience with it.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The OD on PEX is copper sizing, and the ID of Poly is copper. The OD on poly is larger.
Maybe the easiest conversion would be a barbed insert fitting on the poly side with male threads, and a female to PEX fitting on the PEX side.

Its Me

Reaction score
I was thinking that. My pex inserts are all brass and I use a crimp ring on Pex.

Can I use the same brass fittings in a poly pipe with the same pex crimp rings or do I need to get a special brass poly fitting with a worm gear clamp?

Its Me

Reaction score
Ok I didn't look that closely at it. So I guess crimp the brass pex 1" male and use a worm-gear clamp a brass poly female and just mix it up with some teflon paste & tape and I should be fine?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The most important question is HOW did you make the irrigation line connection to the house piping? You cannot just install a Tee and run to the valves, UNLESS all the valves have integral vacuum breakers and they are installed at least 12" above the ground, AND above the highest sprinkler head on each zone.

dripguy

Reaction score
Correct way to do the transition is with a pex X threaded fitting and a poly X threaded fitting. THis is also a great place to install a shutoff valve and a backflow prevention device.

Its Me

Reaction score
I have a double check valve not far from the water main on the line for the water main. This advice was straight from my local water department. It's mounted to the ceiling of my basement. That line just runs and isn't terminated yet (just hope nobody opens the valve to that pipe or else there will be hell to pay lol)

I ran the lines myself (1 inch pex) for the spinkler system. I read that it isn't good to have constant pressure on poly as opposed to pex or pvc.

what I had planned to do is to use a brass crimp to 1 inch female npt coupler and then just screw in a schedule 80 pvc to the other end that will also serve as a bank to my sprinkler valves.

After the valves I'm going to use the HDPE Poly

SteveBausch

Reaction score
Yes, old thread....

Okay, city uses 200psi 3/4" black poly, which is a better fit with 3/4" PEX fittings and rings than 3/4" barbs (too big), or 5/8" barbs (kinda loose).

So I'll be using 3/4" PEX stuff on the black poly, in the meter pit. I'll do the deed with a PEX crimp block, since the PEX "bolt cutters" won't fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks