PEX Sizing - Reduce from 1" to 3/4" at Water Heater and back up to 1" + Design Critique

Users who are viewing this thread

PBJ918

Reaction score
I know there are a ton of threads regarding the subject of PEX sizing, but I couldn't find anything addressing this matter.
We're doing an addition and complete renovation on our house and I'm designing the plumbing using the PEX/Plumbing Logic method.

I wanted to start a 1-1/2" meter and service line, which is probably overkill and I'll just end up going to a 1" meter and service line (Cost is probably the underlining factor, but I will not get any meter size smaller than 1-inch). This goes to a 199,900 BTU tankless water heater with an internal circulation pump.

The inlet and outlet to the water heater is 3/4" and I designed the hot to jump back up to 1". Is this OK? Will I still improve the volume by doing this or will it become a choking point and we'll experience a large disparity between hot and cold?

I've attached the layout. Any feedback is welcomed.

NOTE: There is no fire suppression system.

Attachments

• P1.01 - Plumbing Plan .pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
There is no problem having bigger service lines than the meter size. This is common, and is often a good idea or even mandatory to have bigger service lines to the house. There is no problem with a 1 inch or so line reducing down to the 3/4 inch water heater input.

You may want to avoid increasing the output of the water heater back up to 1 inch in that the 1 inch will hold more water, so will slow the arrival of hot water at the far end.

Also note that the ID of a 3/4 water heater nipple is significantly larger than the ID of a 3/4 inch pex pipe or fitting.

The pressure loss of flowing water adds up over various sections. A loss at a meter or water heater does not eliminate the benefit of bigger pipes in or out.

Looking at your diagram, I would opt for the cheaper 3/4 inch meter, and maybe upsize to 1 inch -- presuming that you don't have anything that needs unusually large flows. If you have a fire sprinkler system, then let the fire system designers guide you. I am not a plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
IPC PEX chart for meter and distance
For most three bath homes a 3/4" meter is plenty. Upgrading to a 1" meter is a big improvement if you also changing the water service to 1.25" or larger.
ipc_water_size_50.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks