Painting above tub tile

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbucket

Reaction score
I'm putting in a bathtub and want to do tile up to the shower head and paint above that. Right now I have CB board up to the ceiling with the joints filled with alkali resistant mesh and thinset. I plan to redgard (no vapor barrier behind CB), do I redgard up to where the tile will stop or go all the way up to the ceiling? Do I use drywall mud above the tile so I can paint? Will drywall mud stick to redgard or the CB? Is drywall mud the right stuff to use to smooth out the surface for paint?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Drywall mud won't stick well to RedGard, I don't think (been awhile since I read their instructions!). The vapor barrier is needed for the wet areas. Above the shower head is not considered a wet area. I'd stop the RedGard so it was only underneath the tiled area, then you can use mud to smooth the cbu surface, if needed and paint it.

Now, a setting drywall mud MIGHT stick to RedGard. The stuff you buy in a bucket won't reliably.

When cement based products cure, they literally grow pointed crystalline structures that poke into microscopic irregularities and that's what causes the bond...it's not a very adhesive bond, it's a mechanical one. Now, if you use a modified thinset, that will have some adhesive characteristics in addition to the mechanical bond of the cement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks