P trap Tub Concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

Brother

Reaction score
Its my understanding that p traps are required for all bath tubs. I am not sure there is an exception for those that are in concrete. The picture is of a replacement of a bath tub, with the new abs pipe drain installed, connected to the old existing pipe in concrete.

Do they have to install a p trap here? I know that it would be a lot of work to dig out that concrete to do it, or they would have to have the tub raised, which would not be desireable.

Attachments

• 1720ptrap2015.jpg
    1720ptrap2015.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 196

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I can't tell from the photo (it's too small to see what's going on) but you must have a P-Trap or sewer gases will come out of the line. If the new TUB was connected to the piping for the old Tub, then it will have a P-Trap already. The P-Trap is under the concrete.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF there is already a "P" trap under the concrete, then if you add another one, the tub will NOT drain. IF there is no trap there, then you MUST install one, but it would have to be installed PROPERLY, not just stuck in the line between the main drain and the tub. Without knowing WHAT you have, or what you CAN do, there is no way for us to advise you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks