Outside Pump Control Box Humming Loud...

Users who are viewing this thread

Cobragtrs

Reaction score
My first post, and have been reading for awhile!

My house is about 25 years old, has a Galvanized (huge) tank in garage (new pressure switch), and original Franklin control box outside on top of submersed well. Water pressure is fairly decent for as old as the pump is, and as large as the house is. (could be better in showers, but it is an older well)

Water is still cycling to the tank properly, and house is maintaining same pressure.

Over the last couple of days I have noticed that my outside Control Box is humming very loudly. It was noticeable before if you were standing next to it, but now I can hear it 25 yards away, near the porch.

Does this mean I need a new Control Box, and that age has finally taken its toll??

Thanks!

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
You can change out the relay in your control box to take care of that problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can change out the relay in your control box to take care of that problem.
He said it was a 25 year old control box. Do you think he should change the start capacitor too? And if he changes both, would it be cheaper to put in a new box?

Cobragtrs

Reaction score
I am thinking that, if the relay & capacitors are shot (which makes sense, given the age), that I should replace the whole box??

Basically, the humming is loud, which means that it is definitely the box, since water is still flowing??

Thanks!

Last edited:

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
He can if wants too or wait for it to go out. If you start changing out all the parts in the control box because of age, then you might as well just by a new control box.

Cobragtrs

Reaction score
The thing that worries me, is that the pressure switch stays on, and the Control Box keeps the pump running. Will it hurt the well if it runs over night continuously?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the pump runs constantly and you have low pressure, it may be time to pull & replace the pump.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Check to see if you have any above ground leaks, a leak in your drop pipe or a worn out pump. If you have to pull the pump, then get ready for new drop pipe sch120 possibly and a new pump.

Last edited:

Cobragtrs

Reaction score
If the pump runs constantly and you have low pressure, it may be time to pull & replace the pump.

No, I've got great pressure now and before the control box has started keeping the pump on constantly for about the last 2 days. I'm just worried since the pump is stuck in the on position, that it will damage something before I swap out the control box tomorrow, or Saturday. I can manually stop the pressure switch at the tank, but it then kicks back on, once the tank empties to 40psi.

So, is that the control box keeping the pump running, even though the tank is full??? (The pressure switch is fairly new)

Reach4

Reaction score
So, is that the control box keeping the pump running, even though the tank is full??? (The pressure switch is fairly new)
No. If the pressure switch turns the pump off, there is nothing the control box can do to keep the pump running.

You can use the breaker to turn off the pump.

When the pump is running for a while, what is the pressure? When you turn off the pump while you are not using any water, what happens to the pressure vs time?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
No, I've got great pressure now and before the control box has started keeping the pump on constantly for about the last 2 days. I'm just worried since the pump is stuck in the on position, that it will damage something before I swap out the control box tomorrow, or Saturday. I can manually stop the pressure switch at the tank, but it then kicks back on, once the tank empties to 40psi.

Let me pull a answer out of my A$$

Your box has a bad capacitor. It may be running on the start winding. :eek:

Yes it will smoke if you keep using it.

Good Luck.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Sounds like a fitting on your drop pipe has a crack in it. Do you have a well seal or a pitless adapter? You need to check your drop pipes going down the well, to see if your drop pipes are holding water because it sounds like they are not holding.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Sounds like a leaking check valve or a fitting on your drop pipe has a small crack in it. Do you have a well seal or a pitless adapter? You need to check your drop pipes going down the well, to see if your drop pipes are holding water because it sounds like they are not holding.

That should not make the control box hum.

The box does not know the words, so it just hums.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
The control box is always going to hum as long as the pump is running continuously because of the relay(you can tap on relay sometimes and it will quite the humming, the control box is not important if it can't reach the cut/off pressure due to leaks, maybe you have corrosion under your pressure switch, or a worn out pump that is not building enough pressure to turn the pump off on the pressure switch. Contactors can make a control box hum too if you have one.

DonL

Reaction score

That is the problem. The old ones were built better.

Did you get it fixed ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks