Outlet no longer works inquiry

Users who are viewing this thread

chessimprov

Reaction score
Widgit Maker, the outlet is in an office alcove in a corner of the room. It sits near three windows with a ledge to possibly sit or "put stuff on." The office alcove is beside the front door. A part of the foyer and (French?) double doors separate the part of the foyer and front door from the office alcove.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
It is unlikely that an outlet in that location would be GFI protected. Nor does it need to be.

Turn off circuit breaker. Remove the cover plate. Remove the outlet from the box. See if it has been wired using "quick connect" holes in the back as shown in the video. If it has, remove the wires from the quick holes and put them under the screw terminals. There are little release holes next to the quick connect holes. Using a small tool (another piece of wire works well) press in release hole and pull the wire out. Usually you can remove the wire by simply pulling and twisting the wire to get it out. If you can't get the wires out of the quick connect holes, just clip them off as close as you can. Strip back 3/4" of insulation and put them under the screws.
The "quick connects" are fast and easy (electricians love them) but are known to develop bad connections after a period of time (usually about 10 years). The bad connection can be at the non-working outlet or it can be at the outlet upstream or just ahead of the non-working outlet. If putting the wires under the screw terminals does not restore power do the same thing to the other outlets in the room.
Did you get the voltage sensor as previously recommend? You should, it is a great tool and easy to use. If you did, after pulling the outlet from the wall and turn the power back on. Hold the voltage sensor next to the black wire. If it beeps and flashes the bad connection is at that outlet. If does not, the bad connection is at previous outlet that is feeding this one.

If you find that the quick connects were used you should start changing all of your outlets because the bad connections will continue to occur at other outlets.

Wires should be bent and put under the screws in the direction that the screw turns to tighten.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you get the voltage sensor as previously recommend? You should, it is a great tool and easy to use. If you did, after pulling the outlet from the wall and turn the power back on. Hold the voltage sensor next to the black wire. If it beeps and flashes the bad connection is at that outlet. If does not, the bad connection is at previous outlet that is feeding this one.
I don't know what that great tool is, but if it is capacitively coupled, I think an open neutral feeding the outlet would still let such a tool glow when testing the hot line.

chessimprov

Reaction score
I am not able to open up the plate. I am also concerned that if I force the plate open that I'm going to have a simple paint job on my hands that I don't know how to handle.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not able to open up the plate. I am also concerned that if I force the plate open that I'm going to have a simple paint job on my hands that I don't know how to handle.
You can buy oversized outlet covers if the paint breaks as you pull off of the plate. People should remove outlet covers before painting, so the covers should not be painted in place.

You can often cut the paint around an outlet and reuse the same outlet cover. It is good to have the oversized plates available.

Last edited:

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Yes, take a sharp knife and use the point to cut a line through the paint around the cover plate. Then use the point of the knife to pry the cover plate off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks