Outdoor service panel siding attachment

Users who are viewing this thread

Slugboy6000

Reaction score
Can an outdoor service panel be mounted to the outward face of vertical battens where I have board and batten siding?

This would create a 1" gap behind the panel in some areas due to the profile of the siding.
I don't know what code specifies.
All of the interior service panels that I've seen are mounted on a piece of plywood, but I don't know what is typically done to mount a panel outdoors. I don't want to build an exterior cabinet if I can help it, or compromise the longevity/integrity of the siding (rough cut cedar).

It would be nice to know what I'm in for before speaking with an electrician -thanks.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would suggest creating a flat mounting plane for the panel, by mounting directly to the boards and notching the battens, or adding siding material as required to flush out with the battens.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks