One switch, two circuits. Possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

allstarme

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm curious if it's possible to run two independent circuits on one switch. We have a guest bathroom that currently has a fan and a light, each with their own independent switch. We would like to hook it up so that the fan automatically turns on when the light switch is flipped on. But we'd also like to be able to still use the fan switch to turn on just the fan. I Believe that if I just piggyback the fan onto the light switch, the light will then turn on when I flip the fan switch as well.

So... do they make a single switch that would control two separate circuits? If possible in a white, paddle style switch?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They make double single pole switches. you would have to daisy chain the light switch onto the fan switch, so the light and fan would both come on if the fan is turned on while the light switch is on, but only the fan if it is off.

Reach4

Reaction score
white, paddle style switch
What is a paddle switch from your point of view? You might want to name the switch family you are trying to match. Or post a photo.

A double pole double throw switch with center off could do it.

Two single pole switches can do that job, as you proposed.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want to independently control each one under all conditions...you can just leave it as is!

What you might want to consider is to swap the fan switch for one that has a moisture sensor in it. If people forget to turn the fan on, it will turn itself on. Or, you can manually turn it on. Panasonic has one marketed in their name, but it is made for them and might be available from the actual manufacturer for slightly less. I put one of these in at my mother's house in the bathroom guests generally use when staying over. People would rarely turn the fan on, but this does it automatically if they don't. Since the sensor is at the switch location, the room will already have gotten somewhat steamy, but it automatically continues to run long after they've left until the moisture levels return to normal. If it is on the same switch as the light...people tend to turn the light off when they leave, and the fan really should stay on for awhile. Panasonic, Dewstop, Leviton and probably others all make a switch that will function like I described. I think the Dewstop is the one that Panasonic markets, but am not certain.

If you're in the market to replace the exhaust fan...Panasonic has some models with that sensor built in which is potentially better since it is where the moisture tends to first accumulate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks