One Handle Faucet-which way is Hot?

Users who are viewing this thread

L. A. Stoswell

Reaction score
I just installed a one handle faucet and I connected the hose labeled hot to the left water connection which should be hot. When I use this handle, I get hot water when I pull forward, but based on the dots on the faucet, hot should mean I push the handle back towards the wall. Am I misreading the blue/red dot layout?

I tested it by only having the left side water on and it only let out water when I pulled forward.

3497.JPG

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Many tub fillers can be reversed for back-to-back installations. Also, those with anti-scald may not work right if only one side is pressurized.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
looks like a lav . hot forward cold rear no paper work ? swap the hoses if its what you think but I think you got it right

Reach4

Reaction score
If they had put the blue and red dots on the static part, it would have been less ambiguous.

Maybe add an arrow on the static part, pointing toward the handle before rotating.

A single axis control seems confusing. How would you control both the volume and temperature?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If they had put the blue and red dots on the static part, it would have been less ambiguous.

Maybe add an arrow on the static part, pointing toward the handle before rotating.

A single axis control seems confusing. How would you control both the volume and temperature?
agree , and its too much thinking for us ha ha should be little more obvious usually the supplies have color coding tape as well. When I'm installing a faucet I have about 5 seconds tops to figure this out and then hopefully never hear back about it . open box , yard sale perhaps

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A valve handle like that creates a situation where the position of Hot and Cold can be subjective to the users perspective depending on where you think the handle is "pointing". I've had this argument with homeowners and inspectors who just don't get it.

The tip of the handle or the visibility of the colored dots can and does confuse people. Most installations I've encountered with a side mounted lever handle is that pushing the handle back away from the user is Hot and pulling it forward is cold. Now most manufactures have done away with the 50/50 mix being straight up since the handle would often hit the back splash in the Hot position, so the handle in the top dead center posistion is almost full hot and the 9 oclock position (some users may have to google old fashioned clocks to understand this term) is the new 50/50 position.

PS. The photo is showing a lavatory faucet.

PPS. If the hot doesn't appear to be coming from the correct handle position, simply switch the supply tubes under the sink to correspond with the output you want. It may be that the stub outs are switched, or the tubes sticking out from the valve were installed opposite of what they are supposed to be, or they're correct and there is not "left or right" or maybe its left and right while facing up from under the sink.. either way its an easy fix. And no matter where you put it, you will get used to it in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks