Old well, should the water be so low?

Users who are viewing this thread

livingend

Reaction score
I'm about to close on a piece of property that has an old well on it. The well head is 6 7/8" on the outside. I'm hoping to install a DIY pump jack/piston pump to move water for gardening and during construction (maybe an off-grid back up). I dropped a plumb bob down the well and hit water at 79' and then gravel sediment at about 85'. I know this because next I sent down a stainless cup and it rested on the bottom, came back up with white gravel in it and water so clear and cold. I don't know how long the well has sat with no pump or anything. It's got a block on it to cover it. It doesn't seem at all normal that the well should be so shallow (water depth). Can I install the PVC pump I want or is this well likely be unusable?

As little as I know about all of this, someone who know even less has suggested that the replenishment rate may be higher than I expect. I just don't want to go kit this thing out only to find that there isn't enough water in the well to pump.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A regular water well submersible would be easier and better. But only 6' of water in the well isn't much to work with. I would try to blow out some of that gravel and see if I couldn't get another 10' of depth to work with.

livingend

Reaction score
A regular water well submersible would be easier and better. But only 6' of water in the well isn't much to work with. I would try to blow out some of that gravel and see if I couldn't get another 10' of depth to work with.

The manual piston pump is only a solution to lack of electricity at the site. If I position my piston right, keeping it off the floor and the tip low in the water, it should be able to replenish the 2-3 gpm the pump can move?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks