Oh where, oh where does that circuit go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bmaker

Reaction score
Doing a bit of remodeling on my daughter's kitchen. They have a switch on the wall that doesn't seem to control anything, although I can tell it is wired up to a hot circuit. I've checked all the outlets and lights in the immediate vicinity, even the garage and outdoors. Is there an electrician's trick to chasing down a circuit short of tearing out the wall and physically following the wire?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Look for an outlet in the room where ONE of the plugs is controlled by the switch. This is a code requirement if there is not a ceiling light in the room. POSSIBLE PROBLEM: l over the years, if that particular outlet was replaced, someone may have failed to wire it back so it is controlled by the switch.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have a circuit tracer that can follow wires inside walls, even inside EMT but it is not something the average DIYer would have.

You might be able to generate a noise that an AM radio can pick up and use the radio to follow the wire.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In a kitchen, that switch could control something like a garbage disposal. It might go to an outlet under the sink, but it could go lots of places.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is it in a ganged box with other switches? If so, what are the other switches for? A ceiling fan may have been wired with an extra conductor for a light but the light never broken out to its own switch. See if the wire in the box is 3 conductor and if so where the other conductor goes. I wire my ceiling fans with 3 conductor JIC I decide to have a lamp as well. I hate when they are wired common with the fan and need to use the pull chain.

Bmaker

Reaction score
Look for an outlet in the room where ONE of the plugs is controlled by the switch. This is a code requirement if there is not a ceiling light in the room. POSSIBLE PROBLEM: l over the years, if that particular outlet was replaced, someone may have failed to wire it back so it is controlled by the switch.
I checked some of the duplex outlets but maybe not all. Will try that.

Bmaker

Reaction score
Is it in a ganged box with other switches? If so, what are the other switches for? A ceiling fan may have been wired with an extra conductor for a light but the light never broken out to its own switch. See if the wire in the box is 3 conductor and if so where the other conductor goes. I wire my ceiling fans with 3 conductor JIC I decide to have a lamp as well. I hate when they are wired common with the fan and need to use the pull chain.
There is a ceiling light but not a fan. Perhaps there used to be. Will check out this option.

Bmaker

Reaction score
In a kitchen, that switch could control something like a garbage disposal. It might go to an outlet under the sink, but it could go lots of places.

No garbage disposal but there was an in-counter blender thingy that we got rid of. I checked that circuit but alas it was fed from a different breaker.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; No garbage disposal

BUT, could there have been a circuit for one when the house was built? Unless it was in the 40s, it would have be de rigueur to install one.

Bmaker

Reaction score
BUT, could there have been a circuit for one when the house was built? Unless it was in the 40s, it would have be de rigueur to install one.

Probably not, since the switch is over by the back door, several feet from the sink. The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking it must be either a switched outlet or a circuit in the garage. Will check next time I'm over there.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When I wired my home, I put two switches in the mud room for future consideration. The wires simply terminate down in the crawlspace for now. Eventually they will control outdoor lights.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
Probably not, since the switch is over by the back door, several feet from the sink. The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking it must be either a switched outlet or a circuit in the garage. Will check next time I'm over there.

I used to install a switch by the back door for the garage door opener. "Vacation switch."

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Have you actually looked at the switch to be sure it is NOT a three way switch for something? Switches by back doors are usually 3 way or they control something outside the house.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I put several outlets under the eaves for roof de-icing cables that are wired to switches. Those switches however I put in my wiring closet as I didn't want someone to turn it on by mistake and run up my electric bill.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks