Non Standard Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt McCracken

Reaction score
I have a 100 year old house. When I bought it one of the shower drains was rusted through and unusable. I've finally gotten around to attempting to fix. I've gotten the old drain removed, but the depression in the shower pan is 5" wide. It seems like I can only find 4.25" drains which just barely cover the opening, but not enough to make me feel comfortable about using it.

Is there any website or company that might sell "vintage" sized drains? The best I can find so far is a 5.5" drain, which is too big for the depression. The shower itself has a 100 year old tiled interior that would have to be torn apart to replace the entire pan with a modern pan, so I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it.

Matt McCracken

Reaction score
I believe the pan to be cast iron.

Here is the hole. The depression is 5"
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ow3QjsJQktjJZW669
ow3QjsJQktjJZW669

Here is the drain pipe I had to take out:
7h26zkrFUgyWDVuz9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7h26zkrFUgyWDVuz9

I had to cut the portion out that screws in to the pipe because it was so rusted that it couldn't be moved.

Matt McCracken

Reaction score
Here is what the standard 4.25 inch one looks like in there. Definitely not enough purchase to put any putty or anything to seal it.

index.php

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you upload the files to the site, they won't go away if the link changes, or those files get deleted for some reason...otherwise, the usefulness for future users just goes away. Some people won't use an embedded link, so you won't get as many views, and can limit your advice.

Matt McCracken

Reaction score
If you upload the files to the site, they won't go away if the link changes, or those files get deleted for some reason...otherwise, the usefulness for future users just goes away. Some people won't use an embedded link, so you won't get as many views, and can limit your advice.
I couldn't figure out how to do that. The "insert image" link asked for a URL and didn't seem to work when I tried it. I now see the "upload a file" button that I missed. Thanks.

drain hole.jpg
drain pipe.jpg
new drain.jpg

Matt McCracken

Reaction score
Thanks. I ordered this and it came today. I have it 90% installed. Still not sure if it will make a good enough seal to not leak because I can only get it hand tight. It says to wrench it 3/4 turn after hand tight, but none of my wrenches are quite big enough. What kind of wrench would one use for this locknut? I have very limited space to work in from underneath. It's kind of a one handed blind operation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks