No thread sealant required for gas line for burner where it connects to the control valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

IdAuHunter

Reaction score
My pilot light is repeatedly going out on my gas water heater. I pulled the pilot assembly/main burner and it's corroded. I can't replace the thermocoupler alone and need to replace the entire pilot light assembly.

Problem is that would be a few days out. I'm going to try and clean the corrosion off the thermocoupler so it's usable for the family before the replacement unit arrives.

I noticed there was yellow gas line tape around the male threads on the gas burners main line (where it threads into the control valve). However, every reinstalling video I've found on YouTube doesn't show anyone sealing these threads.

Question is..is dope/tape not required on this connection due to the fitting style?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
My pilot light is repeatedly going out on my gas water heater. I pulled the pilot assembly/main burner and it's corroded. I can't replace the thermocoupler alone and need to replace the entire pilot light assembly.

Problem is that would be a few days out. I'm going to try and clean the corrosion off the thermocoupler so it's usable for the family before the replacement unit arrives.

I noticed there was yellow gas line tape around the male threads on the gas burners main line (where it threads into the control valve). However, every reinstalling video I've found on Youtube doesn't show anyone sealing these threads.

Question is..is dope/tape not required on this connection due to the fitting style?
Tape and dope isn't required anywhere. Some people use both or neither or one of the other. It's only required that it doesn't leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks