No-hub coupling questions

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffeg

Reaction score
my first post! I've read through the forums and have learned stuff, but I need a little confidence building...

background - got this home a little while ago, built in 1974, raised foundation to a septic tank.
I have a very slow draining shower and toilet, rest of the drains drain fine. Looking at the image, the shower/toilet come in from the left, right at the end of the main line. Snaking pulled out a little bit of hair but went through whatever is causing the issue. When I went under the house I noticed that tail Y piece was sagging sloped away from the septic tank a little, so I jacked it up and re-supported it. I'm suspecting that hair/stuff accumalated in that end piece being sloped away from the septic tank.

So now I have to pull that end cap off and pull out whatever is in there.

Questions - are no-hub couplings that easy? simply undo the clamp and pull off the cap? If it is difficult, can I use a strap wrench and twist it off? What's the best way of getting it back on? What's going to be my best bet? Can I replace that cap with an ABS cleanout fitting?

notice the vent duct being supported by the septic pipe, I tried jacking that up, but it started pushing up water piping that is above the vent ducting... should I support it with strapping anyways?

anyways - I have to get that end cap off and fish some stuff out, just need advice on this no-hub coupling that probably hasn't seen any action in 40+ years.

Thanks for any advice - Jeff

Attachments

• 20161210_100535.jpg
    20161210_100535.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 430

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The cap should come off easily enough. The outside of the pipe has tar, so after awhile, it sticks to the rubber. Loosen and remove the metal shielding, and if needed, you can pry the rubber sleeve back with a flat blade screwdriver. You can replace that with an ABS cleanout for later use. Using a new coupling would seal better. The rubber tends to take a set to whatever it's been used on. Though it also may be fine anyway.

pasco-torque-wrench.jpg

Last edited:

jeffeg

Reaction score
Terry - thanks!

Tar! I knew the pipe was cast iron but it didn't 'tink' when I hit it - that explains it.

Good idea on a spare coupling, especially if I damage the old one.

I'm going to have a kitchen sink question too once I get the pictures off my phone.

thanks again! - Jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks