New Wire Stripper Tool

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
My wire stripper has been giving me grief for a while now. Somewhere along the way I stripped a wire that was still hot, and it damaged the cutters and doesn't work well anymore.
When I first went to work doing this kind of work, my boss took me down to the supply house and bought me a tool belt and all the screwdrivers, etc., and an automatic wire stripper. I took one look at the wire stripper and thought that it would probably last a month at best. This was around 1990 and I still have it. Needs blades, but it still works.
Last week I decided it was time to replace my current set of strippers. They don't sell replacement blades off the shelf at HD, so I went for new. I always thought that the strippers could be more useful with a wire-cutting feature. To my surprise, the Klein brand "Katapult" now has an integral wire cutter , good up to 10g single wire.
I snatched it off the rack and ran for the check-out.
That was just yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to use it, but it's promising.

Stuff

Reaction score
I actually got one of those a few months ago. The idea sounds helpful and the cut is clean but most of the time it is better to use a pair of side cutters. The problem is that you have to feed the wire through it. So trimming a wire is great, you just can't cut a wire in the middle without spending way too much time threading it through the tool.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the wire cutter will be an asset occasionally, but it may not be all that I hoped it would be. Be that as it may, it's so nice to have a smooth cutting set of strippers again, I'm happy. Got to try them out on a set of under cabinet lights yesterday.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks