New Well Pump, but Pump is still coming on when no one is using the water

Users who are viewing this thread

glorygirl

Reaction score
I bought a new well pump for my home roughly 5 months ago because the pump kept coming on even when no one was using the water. All's been going along, but I noticed within the last couple of days that the well pump is clicking on a few times an hour when no one is using any water in the house. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Shut off the water just past the pressure tank. If the pump still comes on then you have a leak on the well side of the pressure tank. If not the leak is on the house side. If on the house side check all toilet tanks and make sure the water level is roughly 1" below the top of the overfill tube. There usually is a water level line on the inside of the toilet tank.

If on the well side, then the leak is most likely to be in the well drop pipe or its fittings or the check valve in/on the pump outlet. It could also be in the line underground to the pressure tank. I'd call those that installed the new pump and have them check things out.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you bought the new pump. If it was coming on it didn't need replaceing. Don't make that mistake again, do like Gary said and you should have a much lower repair bill.

bob...

glorygirl

Reaction score
Just past the pressure tank as in closer to the well pump, or on the side of pressure tank closer to the pipes that lead out side? I do have a shut off handle closer to the pump and when I turn that off the pump keeps trying to click on. If I shut off the valve on the other side of the pressure pump, on the pipe that leads outside, nothing happens.

glorygirl

Reaction score
I also checked the toilet tanks. One of them is right at the top of the overfill tube. I removed some of the water from the tank, then flushed, but it's still at the top. Does that mean there's a leak? How do I get the water level to be 1" below and stay there?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the toilet tank is leaking, it depends on the parts inside the tank.

If the water is going over the overflow tube, that would account for some water usage.

The fill valve on the toilet may need repair or adjustment.

Maybe someone else knows about the valves relating to the pump.

Last edited:

glorygirl

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. What about my question on which valve I'm supposed to shut off to test where if there's a leak? Is it the yellow switch on the pipe leading to the pump, or the blue valve on the pipe leading outside? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I have no clue about where anything is on this pump!!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Shut off the water just past the pressure tank on the house side of the pressure tank. If the pump continues to come on, you have a leak on the well side of the pressure tank.

The valve between the pump and the pressure tank (which is not usual) is not a shut off valve in most cases, it is a throttling valve to put some back pressure on the pump or usually, to reduce the flow from the pump on a two line deep well jet pump. That keeps more water in the pump and the plumbing down the well. On a well water system, the color of the valve handles means nothing. It's all cold water.

For the toilets, try:
www.toiletology.com

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Speedbump

Reaction score
There should also be a little valve under the toilet tank that can be shut off to stop the water from running into the overflow tube.

bob...

glorygirl

Reaction score
Thank you. That toiletology.com website is terrific. Whom do you recommend to take a look at my well situation? Which will be the cheapest for me? (single, working mother....) :(

Speedbump

Reaction score
It would be a well driller or a pump installer. Some plumbers also do pump work, but make sure they do a lot of it.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks