New well.....need some advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigcc

Reaction score
Stumbled across this forum while researching well pumps and looks like there is a wealth of knowledge here. Hopefully I can get some sound advice. This is a new house with 4 washrooms, some hi flow showers and I will want to do some irrigation so I was hoping to maintain about 16 gpm.
Just had a new well drilled. It is 165' and well sits about 50' from where pressure tank will be located in the house. I don't know the static water level (well driller didn't provide this info - I'm guessing about 80' to 100') but he did say it is producing about 16 -18 gpm. Well driller is recommending a 22 gpm SQE pump with the CU301 controller. I found some info on the CSV and like the simplicity as opposed to all the electronics with the SQE setup. The house has a full basement where pressure tank is located and there will be a pitless installed in the well so they will approximately be at the same elevation. I roughly calculated the TDH to be 320' and I would like to maintain about 70 psi working pressure. I like the all stainless Grundfos SP pump and from what I can tell I would need a 16S20-18 which is 16 gpm and 2 hp. Just wondering how this would work with a CSV? Since I want to run a higher pressure should I up size the pressure tank to about 10 gallons to get a longer runtime for pump cooling? Will this setup still allow for a minimum 1gpm flow without pump cycling? What is the best type of pipe to run down the well to connect to the pump (steel, pvc)? Am I on the right track here or can someone chime in with some better advice.
Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the water level pulls down to 160' or so, that would be the right pump to deliver 70 PSI and about 18 GPM. If the water level stays up at 80' or 100' that pump will try to produce 20-22 GPM. But the CSV1A will make it pump as little as 1 GPM without hurting anything. You cannot even get an SQE larger than 1.5HP, and 1.5HP won't do what you want. The 16S20-18 is a good pump and I believe the standard 4" pumps are much better built than the 3" SQ/SQE.

Because you will have a 2HP pump and need to run a 60/80 pressure switch, I would use at least a 20 gallon size pressure tank with the CSV1A. PVC pipe down the well would be best and it needs a pressure ratting higher than 190 PSI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks