New Tub Installation - Drain/Overflow Help Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

amilkovits

Reaction score
Hi all -

Installing a new American Standard Americast Cambridge tub into my complete bathroom remodel.

When dryfitting my overflow and drain I found that the screw for the tub shoe is *barely* long enough to catch the drain...and that's dry fitting without any putty under the flange. I'm concerned because I need to install this tub with extremely limited access to the backside/underside of the tub. I have access to see that it is not leaking, but not enough to assemble any plumbing. So, I need to use some of the methods I've learned about here on this site, which essentially call for getting everything in place and glued and then dropping the tub onto it and screwing on the overflow and shoe. I'm worried the short screw on the shoe is going to...well...screw me when it comes time to do this.

I'm using a Kohler Clearflo K-7213 drain, which is a glue up sch 40 pvc cable activated drain. The american standard drains got really bad reviews, and I think (correct me if I am wrong, please) that a glue up PVC drain will be best since I have no access to plumbing and need to set it all up before hand. I've googled a bit and searched this site and haven't seen this problem before. Can I find a longer screw somewhere? Are there drains that you know about that have a longer screw for the shoe? I think the problem is because the Americast tubs have a lot of extra composite material, so it's much thicker than a regular tub at the drain.

What to do?

Reaction score
You're going to get the correct American Standard drain for your American Standard tub that American Standard wants you to use.

This is the problem when people assume manufacturers are compatible with each other.

amilkovits

Reaction score
You're going to get the correct American Standard drain for your American Standard tub that American Standard wants you to use.

This is the problem when people assume manufacturers are compatible with each other.

Unfortunately they don't have a glue up trap, and I really feel like that is the best way to go in this installation. I'm sure I could make it work with their regular trap, but their traps have horrible reviews...they sound like junk.

Does anyone know of a high quality glue up trap with a longer shoe screw?

amilkovits

Reaction score
The putty should NOT take up ANY "space" if everything is assembled correctly.

Ok, thanks. If the screw were even an 1/8" longer I wouldn't worry...but it was just challenging to get it threaded into the shoe when I was dry fitting it with plenty of access from all sides...so even without the putty taking up space, I'm still concerned. I'll swing by the plumbing supply store to see if they have a pvc drain on the shelf that I can compare this to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks