New Drilled Well - Is this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

LCF

Reaction score
Good afternoon everybody.

We have spent the last few years working with an engineer to design a new well on our farm so that we can have it licensed as a public water system so we can expand our business and start a small bakery/cheese operation.

A spot was picked for the well, several hundred feet out in the woods to meet all setback requirements we needed for licensing. This is the first well we have ever drilled and our farm previously has run on 2 old dug wells which no longer could support our farm.

They company we hired is reputable and well known around here and they drilled last week. They went down 500 feet and I tried as much as possible to understand the driller when he was here so that I knew what was going on each step of the process. They ended up being here almost a week due to a pump failure and some other small issues. I recall him saying that he was hitting a lot of small rocks. When asking about what depth he hit bedrock at, he replied that he decided to use 80 feet of casing, and grouted it, but for some strange reason they left the casing 4 feet above the ground instead of lower like they are supposed to be. I remember watching the casing get pounded down and it was going in real smooth and then at that last 4 feet it wouldn't go anymore so i am assuming it hit something which is why they left the casing sticking up 4 feet?

They got us set up to pump for 3 days straight and started yesterday (we are supposed to have the water tested on Monday). Water came out orange at first, cleared in an hour and then was a milky color last night. This morning the jar I filled was still milky but it looked like it was starting to settle a bit. I went out and grabbed a second jar to compare and it looked milky like the one from last night.. I went to grab fuel to refill the portable generator and couldn't believe that the milky color coming out was gone and suddenly now it was a dark brown with a bunch of silt. I filled another jar and the stuff inside was so fine that when you swirled it, it looked sort of like oil in water, but eventually it starts settling and the water stays brown.

They are sending someone out this afternoon but I was hoping for some advice so I know what I should and should not ask for. As this is going to be a public water system, we need to make sure everything is done right. I should mention they said we are getting a replenishment rate of 6 GPM, with the pump set to 6GPM, and the height of the water in the well was staying at 60 feet even after the water ran for an hour yesterday. The pump is set down to 475 feet. We had concerns about the 6GPM as we need to run our farm/greenhouses/business off of the one well and we were assured that its a good well with a lot of water.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
When asking about what depth he hit bedrock at, he replied that he decided to use 80 feet of casing, and grouted it, but for some strange reason they left the casing 4 feet above the ground instead of lower like they are supposed to be. I remember watching the casing get pounded down and it was going in real smooth and then at that last 4 feet it wouldn't go anymore so i am assuming it hit something which is why they left the casing sticking up 4 feet?
What is the highest that that area has ever flooded?

80 is a multiple of a pipe length, so maybe the were planning on cutting it down later.

I wonder why they only put in a 6 gpm pump to develop and test the well. Is that the permanent pump? At that rate, you will probably need to fill a cistern/tank.

LCF

Reaction score
The pump is actually a variable speed, but they set it at 6gmp to run it for the weekend. Not sure why? Pump is a CentriPro M15432 with a control board that we can use to adjust things I believe? They said at normal operation the pump will send about 15gmp, and then slow down as the water level in the well drops.

The area has never flooded. Its on a slope and we will be wrapping the casing in a concrete pad also after the pitless is installed.

Reach4

Reaction score
The pump is actually a variable speed, but they set it at 6gmp to run it for the weekend. Not sure why? Pump is a CentriPro M15432 with a control board that we can use to adjust things I believe?
That explains the 3-phase mystery.

You will need to size your wire to the pump house on the current into the controller rather than the pump current.

LCF

Reaction score
That explains the 3-phase mystery.

You will need to size your wire to the pump house on the current into the controller rather than the pump current.

Glad you brought this up.. I spoke with an electrician yesterday and he told me to run 4/0 4/0 4/0 2/0 URD cable. Is this overkill, or not enough?

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds like overkill to me. Figure your current max. Compute how many ohms you would need for 3% voltage drop from the main panel to the subpanel. That 3% is a suggestion rather than a hard limit. Find what wire size you would need to get that many ohms or fewer round trip.

https://www.ecmweb.com/content/code-calculations-14

240*0.03= 7.2 volts. At 40 amps, 7.2/40=0.18 ohms per 1000 ft. %2 copper would give plenty of margin. If you have 500 ft run, for 1000 ft of wire.

Try more exact wire lengths. I think your numbers may have been a little shorter than that.

If your subpanel was fed with a 30 amp breaker, I think you could use #4 awg. However check elsewhere to be sure.
http://www.judiwa.com/2010/10/14/wire-gauge-resistance-and-voltage-drop-calculation/

With #2 and 920 ft round trip (460 pair length) I think you could use a 50 amp breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCF

LCF

Reaction score
Great info.. I believe the electrician thought I needed to size for the pump, and not the control panel. If I can use use a 30 amp breaker instead of 60 then it will save me some big $ on the cable. I need to find the exact wire I should be buying for direct burial in conduit. I plan on buying from an online supplier.

Reach4

Reaction score
Great info.. I believe the electrician thought I needed to size for the pump, and not the control panel. If I can use use a 30 amp breaker instead of 60 then it will save me some big $ on the cable. I need to find the exact wire I should be buying for direct burial in conduit. I plan on buying from an online supplier.
Ask your well controller supplier how much input current the controller that powers the pump can use (counting the power to the pump).

Last edited:

LCF

Reaction score
Will talk with them and find out for sure. Regarding the water color, am I being overly concerned, or is there anything I should them to do/not to do to make sure the well isn't going to have problems? I have a water test on Monday and want to do whatever I can to make things good over the weekend. Would development not really work while set ion 6gpm?

LCF

Reaction score
Just an update. The well installer just sent a technician out and they pulled the plug. They said its not supposed to be putting out the color water it is, so we stopped pumping and they said to cancel my test appt for Monday. Not sure yet what they are going to do to fix it but hopefully we get good news early next week.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Milky colour is usually from cutting fines or the bentonite they used when drilling. The brown is likely iron that got exposed to the air.

LCF

Reaction score
Milky colour is usually from cutting fines or the bentonite they used when drilling. The brown is likely iron that got exposed to the air.

They told me that they drilled with potable water, not bentonite. The water was milky for 24 hours and then suddenly turned dark brown. They said it is not good and made me stop pumping but wouldn't tell me anything more. Nervous that the well failed or something and still waiting on them to call with more information.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks