Nevermind, this is correct

Users who are viewing this thread

mitch.cowan

Reaction score
Hello, first post on this forum and I'm looking forward to receiving advice and tips in the future.

To start off I'm a Journeyman Plumber in Colorado and have been plumbing for 5 years. I've only worked for 1 small 3 man company with a 20 year master as the owner but have recently switched to a slightly larger 5 man company. The nice thing is I'm around new ideas and ways of plumbing, however sometimes some of what they are saying or doing looks a little off to me. Which brings me to this 3 piece bathroom group in question.

At my previous company we always had our bathroom groups that were horizontally wet vented come off the toilet, which would be the furthest downstream fixture in the group. I have been refreshing my memory with Chapter 9 of the IPC recently, and with commentary, and I cannot find anything that states the toilet has to be the furthest fixture down stream. That's easy enough to understand but the commentary has me wondering if the way the fittings are arranged in this bathroom group are incorrect. I will attach a picture. My thinking is that the 3x2 wye they used to pick up the toilet should of been a straight 3 inch wye with a 3x2 bell reducing coming out the end to pick up the lav.

Sorry for the long story but thank you for this forum and anyone's input.

Attachments

• 20231118_094941.jpg
    20231118_094941.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231118_094941.jpg
    20231118_094941.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 45

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I NEVER had to MAKE the toilet the last fixture, unless that was how it worked out. The shower drain is incorrect because it must have a vent before it enters the main, in your drawing. I would have done the system several different ways from your drawing.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the ipc requires that a lav or shower be the most upstream fixture.

Screenshot_20231210-093606_Gallery.jpg

These are some permissable ipc wet vent configurations. They all have a lav or shower or bath upstream of the toilet.

I think if that toilet had a dry vent your drawing would be legal as the ipc let's an individually vented fixture connect to the wet vent.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The shower drain is incorrect because it must have a vent before it enters the main, in your drawing.

For the IPC (or the UPC in Washington, which amended away the "WC must be last" provision), the horizontal wet vent shown in the OP's diagram is fine. The 3" line you call the "main" is still the bathroom branch carrying only drains of the bathroom group. Your comment would be correct if a non-bathroom group fixture were joining that 3" line upstream of the shower.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the ipc requires that a lav or shower be the most upstream fixture.
For the purposes of fixture connectivity and wet venting, there is no upstream-most fixture. There is only an upstream-most joint at which two fixture drains connect. One of those fixtures must be the dry vented fixture that is providing the wet vent.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mitch, I started out non union we dont have masters we have journeyman lic in only a few cities Los Angeles the only one I know of but assume there others , so a licenced contractor outside of those cities can hire who ever he wants .
I had zero experiance and since there was no apprenticeship or whatever could have worked my entire carreer with little to no guidance and eventually been training others
Any way I did have a code book and tried to figure things out but of cource if foreman would say this is how its done and argue something it was and always has been hard to resolve, because even an inspector can be wrong.
I did join the UA after 15 years and it was vastly differant however Union Plumbers in So Ca are few and far between in residential and guys I worked with were great craftsmen they lacked experiance we do on homes they work almost all no hub and horrizontal wet venting is less common. also when you are plumbing a hospitol or some big job you arent sizing pipe makeing your own plan you are following directions prints isos etc.
A lot of mis info goes around shops from one guy to next only thing you can do is research and share your idea with others to figure things out sometimes.
I think ipc allows W/C last but dosent require it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks