Neo Angle Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Addison

Reaction score
Hello All,

I may have a dumb question. I have what appears to be a neo angle shower that is brass in color. I have been battling leaks with it since i move into the house. My question, is the inside of the shower supposed to be caulked around the pan and the wall panels?

I keep getting conflicting answers. It was caulked when i purchased the house and later on experienced a leak in both corners. I recaulked the inside (as it was prior) now i can tell that there is was in on the drain pan lip that is trapped by the caulk inside. It does not appear to be a lot of water; but the caulk i applied is wet in a particular spot, so i removed a bit, and to my dismay a bit of water kept coming through where the wall and the drain pan meet.

I do not notice any leaks in the plumbing or behind so i assume somehow somewhere water is getting into the track system and leaking into the lip of the drain pan than has no where to go? Could that also be the reason the corners were leaking (because the inside was caulked)?

The first image shows where the leaks on the outside were occurring. I believe those are all fixed.

The second photo of inside shows where the caulk seems to maintain wet; and after removal of it, water was coming out from behind (not a lot of water, but some).

IMG_5721.JPG
IMG_5722.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those kits can work well, but only if two things happen:
- the floor and walls are both flat and level, and the walls plumb
- they are put together properly

Well, there's a third thing...some are just junk.

Many of them snap together, some require caulk. Can't tell what yours requires.

If the floor isn't level, the water will pool in areas and can cause problems.

Addison

Reaction score
Those kits can work well, but only if two things happen:
- the floor and walls are both flat and level, and the walls plumb
- they are put together properly

Well, there's a third thing...some are just junk.

Many of them snap together, some require caulk. Can't tell what yours requires.

If the floor isn't level, the water will pool in areas and can cause problems.

It doesn't look at all like this snaps together. As far as the floor and walls level; that could be an issue.

Just a few moments ago I check again and the caulked spot was still wet. I was able to pull it off by hand and it's still a little moist. Here's an image after I peeled it off; maybe that will help?

IMG_5726.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there's moisture in there, most caulks won't bond well. There are some sealants that will work when the surface is damp, but you need to find out how the moisture is getting behind there, otherwise, sealing things may not resolve your problem. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Addison

Reaction score
Thanks jadnashua!

I'm going to leave that caulk piece out and let it dry completely.

Does anyone else have any insight on how moisture would/could get behind there?

Addison

Reaction score
Just an update; I cut out an access panel behind the shower valve body and there are no leaks or signs of leaks coming from any of the plumbing. still in the dark as to where that moisture is coming from.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks