Need some advice on bathroom pipe...

Users who are viewing this thread

candle21428

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I found this forum through Google search. Hope some of you guys can answer my questions:

We live in a coop apartment in NYC and there is some rusty water leaking out from the "heat pipe" in my bathroom (please see the attached picture for more info). I've contacted the maintenence office and show them the picutre, but they refused to send somebody to have a look at it in person because they claims (1) it's normal and (2) the leakage is not active.

(1) Any idea if what they claimed is true?
(2) Would the rust eventually result in damage in the pipe and breaking it?
(3) We only know to paint it every 3-4 months. Is there a way to fix the problem?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG-20150520-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20150520-WA0000.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 116

Reach4

Reaction score
Not a pro. This is not a diagnosis of your plumbing.

I suggest using better prep and a good primer before topcoat painting. POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating is top-notch primer that does not require that you remove all of the rust before priming. However it does need you to get the paint off that covers the rust. I would do some searching for what others say regarding POR-15 before proceeding.

You may find a wrap that you prefer.

That split trim piece at the ceiling is easy to replace, or you could paint it when you paint the pipe.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks