Need options what to do with this tub surround

Users who are viewing this thread

BILLFORD

Reaction score
I just bought a condo with the intention of doing a tub to shower conversion in a few months because everything is original from 1980 - 2 handle faucet with mismatching handles, a shower head that’s about eye level it’s so low and the old school fiberglass surround - just really for the aesthetics as you see it’s just ugly. Well the first day I turn them on and water was gushing badly out of both handles. Ive done most diy plumbing projects except this one, primarily because have always been in high rises and the whole building needs to be shut off for a repair. I never have any issues with any other plumbing repairs I get it all just don’t trust myself so never done this so not familiar and have to decide prior what to do because have one chance. I wasn’t ready to do the shower yet but I tighten my budget on it I could somehow probably swing it now, what options do i have?

Is there a way to change the valve and fixture and all without ripping out the surround? I know a one handle is the way to go but have seen new two handle ones can that just be replaced though whatever holes are already there? If a piece is cut out can it be resealed and if so an eyesore? I don’t know what brand these even are but I’ve never seen modern nice new replacement handles they always look the same. I’ll most likely have a pro do but the 2 I asked was like rip it out and quoted amounts entire bathrooms go for. Sorry for the long post I always try to be details so you don’t have any questions lol

Help! Thanks!

Attachments

• EAAB6A37-EE60-4C60-B92F-98DC90464EE1.jpeg
    EAAB6A37-EE60-4C60-B92F-98DC90464EE1.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 153
  • F37D652C-BA1D-4489-8531-942B25854378.jpeg
    F37D652C-BA1D-4489-8531-942B25854378.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 158

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
what is usually done in that case is to use a remodel plate. You end up cutting a larger hole in the surround, tear out the old stuff, then install the remodel plate that covers the new, larger hole, then the trim from the new valve fits on the remodel plate. At least one company make a new valve with a large plate, and you don't need the remodel one. But, if you're going to tear it all out and replace down the road, using a 'standard' valve and trim then adding the remodel plate, when you remodel the whole thing, you would throw away the remodel plate. Won't get you to raising the showerhead, yet, but later.

There are often a couple of installation options...you want a 'thin wall' installation. That essentially clamps the valve to the flexible wall, otherwise, if you happened to press on the wall, it would pull away from the valve and trim, leaving a gap.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Q: From the pictures: If this is a bath/shower faucet (you have a spout and a shower head) - where is the missing valve?
You should have one valve for hot, one for cold and one for mixing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks