Need more Volume

Users who are viewing this thread

J&C

Reaction score
I have a shallow well with a shallow well pump. Works great, Last two years a lot more people in area drawing on water table. I could drill a well, but would rather buy some time installing a storage tank. Have plenty of room in insulated pump house to add storage. Well recovers slow in late summer months. Figure I should be able to put system in that will pump from well to tank with a low level shut off in well and a high level float in tank. My question is what order do I plumb into existing main line plumbing ? Do I need a separate pump?
I haven't sat down to reason this out. Thought I'd see what advice I'd get first.

Reach4

Reaction score
have a shallow well with a shallow well pump. Works great, Last two years a lot more people in area drawing on water table. I could drill a well, but would rather buy some time installing a storage tank. Have plenty of room in insulated pump house to add storage. Well recovers slow in late summer months. Figure I should be able to put system in that will pump from well to tank with a low level shut off in well and a high level float in tank. My question is what order do I plumb into existing main line plumbing ? Do I need a separate pump?
Yes, separate pump. The first pump should be controlled by a float switch and have something to prevent the pump from pumping the well dry. The float switch can be a tether type, so you can adjust the on and off by how long the tether is and where it is fixed to. The first pump does not need a pressure tank. The second pump supplies the pressure to the house, and it needs a pressure tank.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
What's the band aid tank going to cost compared to a well?

Which would make your home easier to sell if you had to?

Which is going to be easier to maintain?

Can you tell I'm not, nor have I ever been a fan of static storage tanks?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am not a fan of storage tanks either, as long as there is another option. But here is a drawing of how to install a storage tank and system.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks