Need advice mounting a Plasma HDTV

Users who are viewing this thread

the_elf

Reaction score
Got the 2x10 cut, and I've cut into the sheetrock. The project is officially on now that I've got a big hole in the wall. :)

The two receptacle boxes you see on the mantle are going to be installed horizontally below the hole on opposite sides of the center stud. One for power, and the other for all of the cabling. Horizontally because there is a horizontal support just below the hole that frames out the firebox. The receptacles will fit in there nicely if turned horizontally, and should be fairly attractive once it's all finished.

I've got someone with a router that is going to taper off the edges of the 2x10 to make it look a little better for anyone that peeks behind the TV.

the_elf-08.jpg

I ordered all of my cabling Saturday night. Less than $100 for 25' HDMI, component, composite, and VGA cables. The next step is to cut into the wall some more on the right side of the fireplace to see where I jumper power from and where I can get the cabling too.

boober

Reaction score
Looks good. I hadn't originally intended for you to actually cut open the wall to put in the 2x10. But it will make installing the cabling easier. That is the biggest pain in doing the whole thing- it's like running all new electical, only worse 'cause you've got big connectors on the end to fish through...
What are you going to do in terms of a wall exit?

the_elf

Reaction score
Someone else recommended cutting the drywall out and replacing it with the reinforcing support. Saves you a good bit of drywall patch work, and if you trim up your support and paint it, it can be done to look nice.

Yeah, I'm going to have to drill some BIG holes (VGA... :| ), and be very gentle with all of the premade low voltage AV stuff.

Here is the plan for the cable runs:

the_elf-09.jpg

To get that run, I'm going to cut out some small sections of the drywall to be patched later so that I can get at those studs, and drill through them as needed. The blue boxes are existing and planned receptacles, the gold is the fireplace gas key, the gray run is the Romex (electrical) run, and the red run is all of the low voltage AV runs.

I haven't peeked inside the electrical outlet beside the gas key yet to see what it looks like inside. I'm pretty sure the run dead ends there next to the fireplace, which will make the chained off receptacle relatively easy. If it's in the middle of the chain, either some additional wiring or thinking may be in order.

The only thing I'm wondering about now is where the AV stuff will land. I could slap a box in above the electrical outlet down there. Because of all of the speaker runs that are down there, I'm not sure where the best place to put them would be.

the_elf

Reaction score
Oh, here's what that back corner looks like at present:

the_elf-10.jpg

That bundle of four boxes is basically speaker wire to every room in the house. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it is worth it for the cost, you can buy long, flexible wiring drill bits, and you wouldn't need to cut any more holes.

the_elf

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
If it is worth it for the cost, you can buy long, flexible wiring drill bits, and you wouldn't need to cut any more holes.

Never heard of them. Are they pretty reasonably priced?

I have to cut one hole for the receptacle where the AV cables are going to land. I can probably cut that one clean, fish to it, and then put in a box. There's only one other place where I would have to cut. I'll look into the flexible drill bits.

I put in my two boxes under the mount tonight. Though, there's no way I'm getting premade VGA into a new-work box. :p Gonna have to pick up something with a bigger back opening at Lowe's. :)

the_elf-08.jpg

boober

Reaction score
They have box "frames" basically. Lowes should have them. They are basically the shape of a box with the back blown out. They are about drywall thickness with clamps that lock it into place and give you something to attach the face plate to. Not sure what you can use for a face plate. Possibly getting creative witha dremel or something...

the_elf

Reaction score
boober said:
They have box "frames" basically. Lowes should have them. They are basically the shape of a box with the back blown out. They are about drywall thickness with clamps that lock it into place and give you something to attach the face plate to. Not sure what you can use for a face plate. Possibly getting creative witha dremel or something...

Yep, I've seen them. "Old-work" boxes. As for the cover, I'm pretty sure I've seen plates that divide into two so that you can stuff the cabling through.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I think the (4'?) wiring drill bits are reasonably priced if they save you some time. THey come in various diameters and obviously, the bigger ones cost more. They have a hole in the bit end that you can use to tie the wire to so you can pull it back out with the wire attached. Handy. HD usually carries them in the electrical isle.

the_elf

Reaction score
Ehh, I ended up just cutting the wall. There's insulation and stuff back there...felt more comfortable this route. That way I can back there for fishing the cables through. Don't want to tear up the premades trying to find the hole.

Some updates:

I've known this for some time, but this project has reminded me...

Never use a battery powered drill for a corded drill's job. :lol:

Cut some more drywall. Should be a piece of cake to patch back in. Not really worried about it. I've got most of the holes I need drilled. Work tonight was gated by the weakness my battery powered drill. Forgot to grab Dad's drill that I was going to borrow when we were at his house this weekend.

the_elf-11.jpg

the_elf-12.jpg

That's the HDMI, composite, VGA, and CAT5e in the wall now. The component cable is MIA since it's presently hooked up to the 50" on the floor. I'm picking myself up a real drill after work tomorrow, and hopefully the cables will be all done. Gotta get a couple of open back, "old-work" boxes for the low voltage stuff, too.

I got my boss to use a router to shape up the 2x10 some, giving it some softer, rounder edges so it won't be as much of an eye sore. (Paid him with an out to lunch :D ) I've got all of the lag hardware to put it up...just waiting on the drill. Should have some more update pics this week. :D

the_elf

Reaction score
More updates:

I got a decent drill (the gloves were bonus!):

the_elf-13.jpg

Got the wires all threaded through:

the_elf-14.jpg

the_elf-15.jpg

CAT5e, VGA, component, composite, HDMI:

the_elf-16.jpg

I'm going to tuck the Romex into the electrical outlet just below the low voltage box. Would of messed with it some more tonight, but it got late again.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Lookin' real nice. :) Finished results will be nice.

As for the don't let a cordless drill do what a corded drill should or something like that
blah.gif
.... I've got a Festool 12V cordless drill.
c12_564178_155.jpg
It drills holes (runs circles) around my 21.2 (21 point something) cordless beast.
bowdown.gif
It doesn't use brushes, in fact AC induction motor, charge lasts a long time. Couple days ago, I popped on the right angle adapter and drilled a 5/8" through probably 35 studs before the charge ran out! In the event that it got stuck, slap it ito low gear and it just eats it up! I've drilled 2.25" holes for lock sets, 1.5" hole through 12" masonary. It's great.

Festool has a lot of very very nice tools.
Jason

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
Festool has some amazing tools. The problem is, they cost so much, you won't have any money left over for material after that.

the_elf

Reaction score
Part of the trouble is that the battery I have for my Ryobi is only a 6V. I imagine a 12V battery makes a big difference.

Prashster

Reaction score
6v?! Ryobi?! You're kidding me. You're ripping apart your wall, rewiring, runnin' cable, hanging 80lb things on your wall (manly man)...and you're stepping up with a 6v Ryobi? Did that thing come with a tutu? ;)

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Dewalt, and probably others, now have a 36-v line of portable tools.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Yes, they are pricey. I got me an 'in' on that part, but I'd buy 'em full price if I had to!

Jason

the_elf

Reaction score
prashster said:
6v?! Ryobi?! You're kidding me. You're ripping apart your wall, rewiring, runnin' cable, hanging 80lb things on your wall (manly man)...and you're stepping up with a 6v Ryobi? Did that thing come with a tutu? ;)

I couldn't afford the good stuff when I first bought it. That, and I wasn't in a tool collecting mode. So, I went for the rice-burner drill in a pretty dress. :eek:

the_elf

Reaction score
It felt powerful getting this board in there:

the_elf-17.jpg

I wanted to drill some more tonight, but the son was asleep. So, I'm ready to drill for Thursday:

the_elf-18.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks