Navien Outdoor Temp Wire Extension

Users who are viewing this thread

HOLDEN

Reaction score
I need to extend the Navien outdoor temp. wire. The manual says use 18ga wire.
Is it a soldiered connection since the sensor an electronic device, and not electrical?
Will extending its length effect the resistance and alter the preset high and low set points,
or do the set points have to be adjusted for any change in resistance?

Thanks

Jac04

Reaction score
I used thermostat wire and wire-nuts (no soldered connections). Mine is extended about 20 feet and it typically corresponds within a few degrees of my other outdoor thermometers. Extending the wire won't effect your set points.

djdavenport

Reaction score
The ODR "device" is simply a 10K thermistor. Each degree is equal to about 200 ohms (at/near the 77 degree). I think I would run an unspliced 18-2 thermostat wire, just to guard against there being an cold connection (and if there were increasing resistance, it would give a lower temperature than actual.) Inside the little "dome" are screw terminals. Wire nuts secure the other end to the pigtail in the boiler itself. Granted, I'm just a little compulsive about connections, and a splice or two wouldn't likely make much of a difference.

Last edited:

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I also used 18ga T-stat wire to extend my ODR sensor, total run is about 60ft maybe.
My sensor had screw terminals on it, so the T-stat wire went right into it's connection point.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can solder the connection then use something like heat shrink tubing if you want. Wire nuts, properly installed are adequate.

HOLDEN

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. Now I just have to explain to the owner
not to adjust anything

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks