Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
A week ago I was taking a shower and the water stops I went to my pressure tank everything seems normal except I notice the submersible control is dripping pull the lid and the capacitor is bad it was leaking it’s electrolytes so $90 later still no water I figured since that is the only thing that appears to be wrong I’ll start checking all the electrical breaker never tripped next is the pressure switch both sides have 240 volts when closed as I said above I installed new control box I have 240 going in so next I go check the well pump it’s a submersible pump so after pulling well over 100 feet of pipe filled with water and highly considering going on diet afterwords I got to the pump so I checked the wiring and pump well the first 10 or 15 feet of wire from the pump had small areas where the insulation was worn off exposing raw wire it looked like someone took a razor and shaved just enough off to sabotage my well so I repaired them checked to see if the pump works and it did put it all back together double checked my volts before finishing they were 240 so flipped the breaker and I have water again I spent 2 days doing all that last Monday and Tuesday a week later I’ve been dealing with fluctuations in water pressure from normal pressure to a small trickle tomorrow I’m going to check my air pressure and search for any water leaks anywhere hopefully that will be the fix but after worrying over this crawling around under my house rubbing elbows with Mother Nature’s nastiest bottom dwellers spending hours researching I find myself writing a novel at 1am just to ask one damn question and that question is does a blown capacitor that’s wired to a pump with wire that was worn down to raw copper have anything to do with my water pressure being good for awhile then bad at times am I missing something I know the pump could be on it’s last leg but I don’t wake up every day hoping to spend $400 on a new pump I’m trying to rule out everything before that bridge is crossed along with the busted bladder bridge is there anything that any of y’all can think of that I haven’t mentioned yet any replies is greatly appreciated sorry for the book I wrote THANKS

Reach4

Reaction score
I find myself writing a novel at 1am just to ask one damn question and that question is does a blown capacitor that’s wired to a pump with wire that was worn down to raw copper have anything to do with my water pressure being good for awhile then bad at times
A bad capacitor could cause the pump to not start right away or not start at all. I don't think it can cause the pump to run half-fast.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A bad start cap, broken tank bladder, chaffed wires, or burned pressure switch are all caused by the pump cycling on and off too much. Your pump only has so many starts built into it. Once you have used up all those starts you are running on borrowed time. Your motor is probably gunked up on the inside and in as bad a shape as the capacitor was. Lots of black stuff gets in the motor from ground up bearing material and the rotor touching the lamination. Knowing what your wire and capacitor looked like it is a wonder your pump is still starting at all. Once you get it all working you can prevent this from happening again by eliminating the cycling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks